VOM March MMXIII--post recordings all weekend!

Michael Martin

• Members

Post 'em if ya gots 'em. And if you haven't gots one yet, you still have plenty of time. Audio or video, any genre, any instrument(s), any skill level. From any era. Parallel thread at MelodyVine, so consider posting there too.

Starting this early because we have a gig tonight and if I wait until after, this might happen at midnight. Thread will stay open until Sunday midnight. Comments on submissions welcome as always.

Here's mine, one from the archive. Written and recorded in 2010. I believe it's one Hummingbird track, one vocal track and one tambourine track--as usual, AT2020 mikes into a Fostex VF80. The line about "echoes dreams and if I fell" refers to three songs that I used to play/sing with the person who inspired the song (Pink Floyd, Everlys, and Beatles)--although the song is sort of a mash-up and not entirely to do with her. The cool thing is that although the duo with the "Millionaire" didn't last, I later resurrected "If I Fell" for the new band, and that song was last month's VOM entry.

(Link was bad before--somehow I think I fixed it...)

https://www.box.com/shared/g8rrlloji3

Millionaire

• Members

...make all the songs count tonight ghost host. You only get to perform a finite amount in your pre eternal life years.....I've attached a live recording of white river lake situation. Turn your volume high for this one and pick up on the crowd....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=12204638

• Members

Started out with one song, then a few days ago the suggestion came up of putting some banjo tunes out in this VOM, so here's one of each:

This is a old murder ballad, originally of Scottish origin, but I learned this version from a friend's Great Aunt, up in the hills of Arkansas...Pretty Polly

http://terryallanhall.com/prettypolly2.mp3

An collaboration w/ my demented friend Jack Swindell that, while a trifle tacky, gets requested at my gigs a lot...Salem Massachusetts Rag

http://terryallanhall.com/salemmassrag2.mp3

• Members

Hello everyone. I thought I'd mix it up a bit and do an old mandolin blues tune called "Vine Street Drag"

http://www.verneandru.com/WebApp/Downloads/Audio/VineStreetDrag-VerneAndru.mp3

played on my Paris Swing gypsy-jazz inspired mandolin

Verne's Paris Swing jazz mando

I've added a floating Lace humbucker as well as 2 piezo's under the soundboard ala K&K. It's recorded into a Zoom H4 again, but this time I used the external source jacks, not the internal mic's.

I took the output from the blend of humbucker/piezo, ran it through a Korg G3 multi-effects unit [adding eq, modulation, delay, etc.] then into the 1/4" phone jack on one channel of the Zoom. Then I grabbed my Blue Kickball mic [great piece of kit] and plugged it into the XLR of the Zoom's other channel. The kicker is the Zoom H4 provides phantom power directly to the Kickball, even when it's running on batteries! This is what I really like about the Zoom's over others.

In Cubase I brought the mic channel forward so what you're hearing is primarily the acoustic tone of the mandolin, which I think is quite fantastic. Great little all solid tone monster! My tremolo still needs work.

• Members

Graeca wrote:

Started out with one song, then a few days ago the suggestion came up of putting some banjo tunes out in this VOM, so here's one of each:

This is a old murder ballad, originally of Scottish origin, but I learned this version from a friend's Great Aunt, up in the hills of Arkansas...
Pretty Polly

An collaboration w/ my demented friend Jack Swindell that, while a trifle tacky, gets requested at my gigs a lot...
Salem 
Massachusetts
Rag

I really enjoyed the banjo number terry - what tuning were you in?  

Phil

• Members

Michael Martin wrote:

Post 'em if ya gots 'em. And if you haven't gots one yet, you still have plenty of time. Audio or video, any genre, any instrument(s), any skill level. From any era. Parallel thread at MelodyVine, so consider posting there too.

Starting this early because we have a gig tonight and if I wait until after, this might happen at midnight. Thread will stay open until Sunday midnight. Comments on submissions welcome as always.

Here's mine, one from the archive. Written and recorded in 2010. I believe it's one Hummingbird track, one vocal track and one tambourine track--as usual, AT2020 mikes into a Fostex VF80. The line about "echoes dreams and if I fell" refers to three songs that I used to play/sing with the person who inspired the song (Pink Floyd, Everlys, and Beatles)--although the song is sort of a mash-up and not entirely to do with her. The cool thing is that although the duo with the "Millionaire" didn't last, I later resurrected "If I Fell" for the new band, and that song was last month's VOM entry.

Millionaire

• Members

hypnotistcollector wrote:

...make all the songs count tonight ghost host. You only get to perform a finite amount in your pre eternal life years.....I've attached a live recording of white river lake situation. Turn your volume high for this one and pick up on the crowd....

Wasn't sure about this when it first started - but fortunately I gave it time - really liked the guitar and singing on this one

Phil

• Members

Michael Martin wrote:

(Link was bad before--somehow I think I fixed it...)

Millionaire

• Members

Hoddy wrote:

Here's one from about ten or twelve years ago. Since the early 80s I had been in a number of bands with the same singer...This was between bands, we had a little foray into country music...done at his house on some old equipment he had. I play all the guitars on it.

Hi Hoddy

From over here I can never quite decide if country (as in modern/electric as opposed to old time)  in the US is considered by those who perform it as being straight  or  parody.  But regardless I found your tune a real toe tapper and enjoyably funny,  (Couldn't say the same for D I V O R C  E..... or could we? - you see my problem)   Did your forray into country lead anywhere in the end?

Phil

• Members

...that's full on band!...just took a swig of newcastle, propelled by the music. that's a good sin. what's that about the bible?..missed it...the guitars are carrying this band...way to be hoddy....dude, this does have the eighties country sound. what happened to country music in the 90's and since?... sad really. we ain't gonna let that happen in texico>>>

http://texicodays.blogspot.com/p/book-drafts.html

Archived