"You Can't Sing?!?! "

poppytater

• Members

If you're holding an acoustic guitar, people assume you sing. They seem a bit let down when I tell them I can't. No matter what I play for someone, it invariably comes back around to " Sing us one." I'm getting a lil' tired of having to explain that not all pickers are singers and vice versa. On the rare occasion when they won't hush 'til I do sing, they get it immediately. Make a sign perhaps?

• Members

Spend a little time with a cheap recorder and some simple tunes.

I used to think I couldnt sing, but I decided to anyway. Find a 3 chorder, experiment with keys till you find a comfortable range where you are not straining, and belt it from the gut. You might suprise yourself.

Bob Dylan cant sing either, but that never stopped him.

• Members

Yeah, man. I used to feel that way but eventually I found that strumming just wasn't enough. My "audiences" felt that way too -let's face it, instrumentals are boring- so I decided to give it a go. Now people are more likely to comment on my singing rather than my playing

• Members

Same here. I can't sing.

Whilst my puny attempts at instrumentals take months of tears and anguish to get anywhere near tuneful, Folks just find intsrumentals dull. Or more likely it's something to do with my ability.

Anyhoo, they'd much rather hear a "proper song" with three chords that I could learn in 2 minutes. The bestads!

Yup, them that sings gets more recognition for thier achievements.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Pine Apple Slim wrote:

Spend a little time with a cheap recorder and some simple tunes.

I used to think I couldnt sing, but I decided to anyway. Find a 3 chorder, experiment with keys till you find a comfortable range where you are not straining, and belt it from the gut. You might suprise yourself.

Bob Dylan cant sing either, but that never stopped him.

actually Bob was a much better singer than many people gave him credit for.

Archived