How To Build An Online Forum

poppytater

• Members

Contribute. It won't kill ya. If you don't see any threads you like, start one that you do.

Lighten up. No wounds here are mortal.

Don't let off topic inanity get your panties in a wad. What, you never maybe order a nice bowl cole slaw on the side?

• Members

Poppy, I think a lot of us, myself included, have just gotten a little lazy about starting new threads lately.

Some of it has been caused by simply being somewhat disenchanted with the way the forum itself has been up and down like a yoyo over the past three years. This, in turn, has also caused a lot of the "old time" members to either go somewhere else, or simply disappear, which doesn't help matters much.

I know we've gotten quite a few new members over the past few months, but I don't see a lot of activity coming from them, either. Don't know why. Maybe they're all long-time lurkers who've already read all the past threads, already know it all, and can't think of anything to contribute that would be considered worthwhile.

I keep coming here, day after day, hoping to find some new threads that will get my juices flowing and, perhaps, cause me to get the urge to start one myself, but it doesn't seem to happen very often anymore.

At the same time, even when I DO start a new thread, it seems like it doesn't get much in the way of replies and the thread dies a quick death. So, I sometimes say to myself......"What's the point of taking the time to start a new thread if nobody cares to respond to it?"

I'd love to see this forum get back to acoustic guitars and other related string-instrument discussion. I also don't have any problems with OT threads. Those are a lot of fun too, as long as they don't start some kind of flame war. We have a couple of members who seem to be preoccupied with seeing how "cute" they can make their comments instead of actually contributing opinions worth reading. A little of that goes a long way. 

I don't have a problem with this new forum platform. I pretty much like everything about it, with a few reservations. At least it works, which is more than I can say for anything else we've had in the past three years. I think it's just gonna take some time before people get fully accustomed to it now and things get back to the way it was at one time. I keep hoping, anyway.

Regardless of what anybody else thinks, HCAG is still a great acoustic guitar forum. It may not be the absolute best one on the Internet, but it sure beats the hell out of whatever's in second place!

I've spent enough time at other forums, like Melody Vine, Musician's Central and AGF, to know that I don't really care for it over there. I can sum up my opinion of all three of those places in one word.......that word would be "booooooorrrrrrring". Right here is where it's at, people. So quitcherbitchin about its shortcomings and start acting like it's an acoustic guitar forum that you care about.

I, for one, am not going anywhere. I don't have anywhere to go. I'll just sit here patiently waiting for things to turn around. If it never does.......well, what can I say? It was fun while it lasted.

• Members

poppytater wrote:

Contribute. It won't kill ya. If you don't see any threads you like, start one that you do.

Lighten up. No wounds here are mortal.

Don't let off topic inanity get your panties in a wad. What, you never maybe order a nice bowl cole slaw on the side?

Poppy......I just started three new acoustic guitar related threads. We'll see how much activity it generates.

• Members

FretFiend. wrote:

I have more important things on my mind right now than a foundering, poorly run forum.

It's spring. Get out and enjoy it. Get a life.

Maybe where you are, FF. Here it's cold, raining and supposed to keep on raining the whole day. And, tomorrow they're predicting snow flurries. We're still waiting for Spring up here in Buckeye country.

Global warming my ass!!

Archived