Hardest saddle material?

Grant Harding

• Members

Well, I've had plastic, bone, tusq and corian and I don't think I've worn out any of 'em.

Not sure if they make titanium saddles. I'm not even sure if titanium would be considered "hard", but it would be worth looking into..........I guess.

• Members

My default is unbleached bone from stew mac, but I've used lots of Tusq over the years too. I prefer the sound of bone, but they both notch about the same.

Plastic is way too soft for the way I play. Not sure if it's just generally pounding out chords, bending strings, or what, but the strings eat grooves into the saddle.

I haven't tried titanium or anything like that. I'd be able to hear you lot laughing if I even purchased one of those.

• Members

koiwoi wrote:

. . . Most guitars I see have bridge saddle slots and nobody worries about them. I just like my action and intonation to stay where I measured them.

By "slots" do you mean indentations? My Ibanez has slight indentations under the strings in its "Ivorex II" saddle but nothing I'd call "slots."

• Members

koiwoi wrote:

Most guitars I see have bridge saddle slots and nobody worries about them. I just like my action and intonation to stay where I measured them.

Could you post a picture of a saddle that is too slotted to use?

Archived