Yamaha A3r and AC3r

deathapedisco

• Members

I think the pickup system on these guitars sounds better than the Taylor 314 I tried today, and at 60% of the price the slight loss in acoustic tone is fine in my book. Anyone have any experience with these two guitars or a preference between them? I'm thinking of picking one up soon, and haven't found anything in the same price range that compares at this point. I'm looking to play fingerstyle but also strum chords. I like the Taylor sound but need low end for gigs with the band. Can the low end just be beefed up on the AC3R? 

• Members

I'm sure it can. Just buy one and get those crappy Yamaha strings off of it and put some decent ones on. PB lights would be my choice......that should make it sound better. I know you didn't ask, but in case you do, I like Yamaha guitars, but I DO NOT like the strings they put on 'em at the factory. Maybe someone does......not me.

• Members

I'm with Opa - Yamaha factory strings do their guitars a disservice.

I did a lot of A-B testing between the A3 and AC3, but only unplugged. A3 was louder with more bass/, but I felt the AC3s sound was well-balanced, and it didn't seem lacking in any way when played by itself. I'd suggest you try them both amplified with new, non-Yamaha strings.

• Members

A year now with my A3R and the unplugged sound definitely changed, for the better ^ ^

More bass, more volume. 

And i tried many different saddles, just to go back to the original Yamaha resin saddle because it's what gives the best string balance when plugged.

The only small plus was to put a Bob Colosi bone saddle, but the 3rd and 4th string were weaker when using the SRT pickup.

Love this guitar, mainly fingerpicker but the dread shape is not a problem.

Archived