Below rosett tiny hairline crack or part of finish?

Ccvw

• Members

Hello, just bought brand new tguitar and noticed small hairline finish line or possible crack on my taylor dnce. It is a straight tiny line that goes from below rosette to the round sound hole. It is directly in center of guitar. The tech acted like it was for the roset to expand and contrast sound and is there originally and wouldnt cause issues. Is this bs or legit? I just bought this eventhough i saw this line prior to sale. Maybe i shouldnt have believed it? If its not common, how do i resolve? I appreciate your feedback.

• Members

What GW said.......I'd like to see a shot of it, too.

I'm not getting a good "picture" of what you're talking about, but from your explanation it sounds like this "crack', or whatever, is running across the grain instead of with the grain. If that's the case, it's probably a flaw in the finish as opposed to an actual crack in the wood. Hard to say without a picture to go by.

I can tell you this, though. I've never heard of a rosette that needed an "expansion" joint!

Regardless of what it is.......it shouldn't be there. How to resolve it?...........take it back where you bought it and exchange it or get your money back!

• Members

Ccvw wrote:

Hello, just bought brand new tguitar and noticed small hairline finish line or possible crack on my taylor dnce. It is a straight tiny line that goes from below rosette to the round sound hole. It is directly in center of guitar. The tech acted like it was for the roset to expand and contrast sound and is there originally and wouldnt cause issues. Is this bs or legit? I just bought this eventhough i saw this line prior to sale. Maybe i shouldnt have believed it? If its not common, how do i resolve? I appreciate your feedback.

Maybe your typing skills are not so good, or your english is not so good, but you're not being very clear. You noticed that there is a "crack" of some sort from the rosette to the edge of the sound hole, in the center of the guitar, before you bought the guitar, and then you got some sort of indication from "the tech" that this was normal, but you really don't know if that's bs or not. And you bought the guitar anyway? What model is it, (Taylor doesn't make a dnce) and how much did you pay for it?

Some pictures would help a lot.

Based on what you've said so far, no, a crack there is not normal, if it is indeed a crack. That said though, the crack may be harmless, or it may indicate something more serious. Impossible to tell based on your post.

The guitar is new. It's covered by warranty.

• Members

FretFiend. wrote:

. . . What model is it, (Taylor doesn't make a dnce) and how much did you pay for it? . . .

Taylor does in fact make a DNce. Here's a link: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TAY-DNCEFLTD-LIST. Assuming that's the guitar the OP is referring to, I wouldn't expect any flaws at all, no matter how tiny. A $3400 guitar should be essentially perfect. He found the flaw, asked the "tech" about it and got a BS answer but decided to buy the guitar anyway. The "tech" is full of it. Fortunately, if it's a "2012 Fall Limited" it's not that old. My personal guess, based on what the OP wrote, is that it's the center seam near the soundhole. If so, it's probably an easy fix. I can also see how someone would be so in love with the guitar that he/she would overlook minor flaws, at least at first. Anyone who's been married can relate to that.

Archived