Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Place To Sell A Used Guitar?

I`m liquidating as I`m moving (again) where in your opinion is the easiest place and best value to sell used guitars? Craig`s List? Ebay? HC? Telecaster.com? etc?

I find the biggest pain with selling online is shipping (duh) but I usually seem to get low-balled on Craig`s..If the price is decent it`s probably worth the hassle of finding a box, packing, shipping.. Yes I`m indecisive by nature..lol.

eBay's fees have become outrageous, but if you need to sell quickly, eBay has the largest audience by far.

Stuff on CL can sell quickly if priced right, but CL seems to be a flake-magnet.

I've had good experience with AGF's classifieds and UMGF's classifieds.

You'll get low-ballers at all of them. Just add a fudge factor to your asking price so they can haggle.
    Frog Rock Tenor Uke
    Frog Rock 00-12
    The thing with Chinese guitars is that when I play one, half an hour later I want to play it again... -- Knockwood
    If you know who wrote it, it ain't folk music. -- DHone
    Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. -- Richard Feynman
    De recta non tolerandum sunt. -- Monty Python

Comment

eBay's fees have become outrageous, but if you need to sell quickly, eBay has the largest audience by far.

Stuff on CL can sell quickly if priced right, but CL seems to be a flake-magnet.

I've had good experience with AGF's classifieds and UMGF's classifieds.

You'll get low-ballers at all of them. Just add a fudge factor to your asking price so they can haggle.

CL has the weirdest spam I`ve ever seen.. It`s pretty easy to spot, but dang. Ebay used to be great, but there is so much crap on there, and like you said their fees (including paypal) have gone way up..

Comment

Yeah, free listing services attract spam and scams. There's no disincentive for the scammer.

I miss the old eBay -- more fraud, but more interesting stuff, and lower fees.

Guitars can move slowly. Some dealers have the same guitars sitting there for years. If it were me and I were moving, I'd price them low to sell them fast. Not worth the wait for top dollar, IMO.
        Frog Rock Tenor Uke
        Frog Rock 00-12
        The thing with Chinese guitars is that when I play one, half an hour later I want to play it again... -- Knockwood

Comment

Guitars can move slowly. Some dealers have the same guitars sitting there for years. If it were me and I were moving, I'd price them low to sell them fast. Not worth the wait for top dollar, IMO.

I agree..

Comment

Ebay's fees aren't bad. I've been on Ebay since 2005 and haven't noticed any large increase in fees.

You will get more for guitars on Ebay than on Craigslist. You reach a much larger market. You don't have to pay shipping - you can make the buyer pay it. You have protection as a seller and as a buyer. It's much safer than Craigslist (no chance of being robbed at gun point).

340 transactions - more as a seller than a buyer. I highly recommend Ebay.

Comment

If you were selling a $500 guitar, in 2009 the fee would have been $19. In 2010, they raised that to $45. Starting in April, their final value fee will be levied on whatever you charge for shipping as well.

Of course, paypal fees and shipping costs are on top of that. Shipping has become expensive as well, and buyers price that in when they bid.
              Frog Rock Tenor Uke
              Frog Rock 00-12

Comment

Chordchunker, I just moved from the East Coast to the West coast just 3 months ago and it's not fun, but why would you have to sell your guitars, I had 12 shipped and they all got here in perfect condision and the cost was peanuts compared to the rest of the move.

Comment

Chordchunker, I just moved from the East Coast to the West coast just 3 months ago and it's not fun, but why would you have to sell your guitars, I had 12 shipped and they all got here in perfect condision and the cost was peanuts compared to the rest of the move.

Well I don`t have to sell all of them..lol.. Just the ones I never play. I have too much stuff and I`m getting weary of hauling it around, plus I`m po`. If they don`t sell I`ll put them in storage until I feel like where I land is permanent.

Comment

Sold an old Roland bass amp on CL that I listed about 2-3 hours ago.. I think I`m going to try CL first before I go on Flea-bay.

Comment

Sold an old Roland bass amp on CL that I listed about 2-3 hours ago.. I think I`m going to try CL first before I go on Flea-bay.

That would have been my advice. One thing I've done, which I highly recommend doing if you haven't done so already, is to create an email address specifically for CL. It's good insurance against having my primary email inbox filled up with spam.

Comment

As much as I hate the fees, ebay is usually the fastest and easiest. CL is slow in my area. Sometimes gear can take several months to move on CL. I've also had great success selling gear on various forums.
                        Gear:
                        Electric:
                        Gibson SG Special| Jay Turser Strat | Blackheart Little Giant Half Stack | Fender Mustang I

Acoustic:
                        Potomac PVD-18 DLX | Silver Creek D-170 | Silver Creek T-170
                        ----------
                        Good Deals with: Yavin, JPIndustrie, ornjbird, WKG, dogfish, guitarputt83

Comment

If you were selling a $500 guitar, in 2009 the fee would have been $19. In 2010, they raised that to $45. Starting in April, their final value fee will be levied on whatever you charge for shipping as well.

Of course, paypal fees and shipping costs are on top of that. Shipping has become expensive as well, and buyers price that in when they bid.

It depends on the type of auction you run. If you sell a $500 guitar with a fixed listing (Buy it Now) your final fee would be 8% on the first $50 and %5 on the $450 balance. Your final value fee would be $26.50. Ebay listing fees would put it a little under $30.00 total.

The 5% rate goes up to $1000 - it is reduced to 2% on the balance over $1000. A $1500 guitar would have a final value fee of $61.50.

Auction listings are 9% and are capped at $50.00. It makes the best sense to sell guitars under $1000 in fixed listings and guitars over $1000 in auction listings.

You will still come out further ahead with Ebay because there is a bigger market for your guitar. Your final selling price will be greater than any other method.

Comment

That would have been my advice. One thing I've done, which I highly recommend doing if you haven't done so already, is to create an email address specifically for CL. It's good insurance against having my primary email inbox filled up with spam.

That`s a good idea!

Comment

As much as I hate the fees, ebay is usually the fastest and easiest. CL is slow in my area. Sometimes gear can take several months to move on CL. I've also had great success selling gear on various forums.

I had pretty good luck on Telecaster.com as they have a huge member list, haven`t had that good of luck on HC, lots of nibbles usually.. Finding a guitar box is a real pita around here, but there are tons of musicians since I live in a college town. Plus I`m having minor car issues.. One thing after another..I`m sure ya`ll can relate.

I have a bunch of other non-musical crap I`ll probably put on ebay, but the last couple of times I shipped out a large item (guitar, big amp) it was a giant hassle for me. I had a guy get pissed because I didn`t ship it out the very moment the auction was over though I clearly stated 3-5 days..

Comment

Working...
                              X