Your Feelings on PUI?

knockwood

• Members

I'm discovering more and more that I really enjoy playing while {censored}faced - probably because I am, more and more, {censored}faced.

I definitely play worse when drunk or stoned; however, I enjoy playing in a completely different way. I make more mistakes, but care less, and this adds a dimension of fun to the whole enterprise.

You?

• Members

Prefer not to, myself, but that's just me...otoh, there are quite a few movies that are greatly enhanced by the addition of ganja and/or 'shrooms (Fantasia and Reefer Madness being two favorites).

• Members

We jam session every other saturday with good food & a full compliment of adult beverage.

At the end of the 5 hr session, my skills are clearly not what they were at the beginning. :)

Do I enjoy it?  Hell yea!  Am I gonna do it again on saturday?  You bet your ass I am! :)

YMMV :mantongue:

• Members

In my experience, "buzzed playing" with others can be a very sweet moment. But there's a tipping point (so to speak) that comes all too soon :womanfrustrated: ...after which the playing goes downhill very rapidly and then I wish we could be back on form. So I avoid that these days.

I once was playing tunes in my basement with my mando player. We we're really "feeling it" with regard to the music, and he had brought over a bottle of Templeton Rye, which was going down quite, er, easily. We thought: must record this, it's so cool! So we did.

I listened to it the next morning in the cold sober light of the day--and it was total {censored}! Especially my "vocalsh" :womanlol:

• Members

Stoned/drunk learning is trashed, so if you're teaching a song to those individuals, forget it.  Or if you're learning a piece, best to do it with no more than a standard pint or 2.

If you're creating and have the tools to record, be it a pencil and paper or recording device, it can be very useful.  Performing is best done sober, or near sober.  Performing for money should especially be done in that vein.  Any other situation is up for grabs, lot's of great ideas while under the influence.  Just don't drive yourself home.

Nothing pisses me off more that drunk and stoned bandmates in a practice or at a gig.  I've left (politely) situations where that occurs, nothing good comes of it in practice and very rarely in performance.   Think you're Keith Richards?  Right.   Sure, sometimes you know the material so well it rolls off easy, but more times than not you sound like {censored}, as Michael Martin told.

• Members

I highly recommend playing under the influence of cold sake.

We've started doing this regularly at our weekly rehearsals, and the results are indeed impressive.  We always start out sounding awful, but end up playing our hearts out.

(I haven't been brave enough to prove this via recording, however. :D)

• Members

I like to have a beer or two while playing, but I usually have water as well. When my head gets too cloudy and my fingers start to be less responsive than usual, water only.

Regarding bandmates, it doesn't matter to me as long as they can hold it together. I've done gigs with bandmates who could barely stand but performed just fine, but I also played with a talented drummer who would smoke a little dope during breaks, and during the next set his tempos would be all over the road. That was a little irritating.

Archived