What should I clean an ebony fretboard with?

rainrainwash3

• Members

Ok, on my old username I asked this question, but since the transition it seems to be gone...

Anyway, I got a Martin HD-28, and the fretboard is pretty dirty.  Now, I've heard I shouldn't use any oils because it can react with the finish, but what should I use to clean it?

• Members

Best to clean it with 0000 steel wool followed with a moistened cotton cloth. And, oil is OK as long as you don't use very much or very often. I use Dunlop "65" lemon oil once a year at the most, but baby oil works as well. I wouldn't use ANY unless it REALLY needs it.

• Members

Opa John wrote:

Best to clean it with 0000 steel wool followed with a moistened cotton cloth. And, oil is OK as long as you don't use very much or very often. I use Dunlop "65" lemon oil once a year at the most, but baby oil works as well. I wouldn't use ANY unless it REALLY needs it.

Should I use masking tape or something to cover the fretboard when using the steel wool?

• Members

All good suggestions - damp cloth, 0000 steel wool - but Martin specifically warns against lemon oil on their FAQ - says it can damage nitrocellulose lacquer (not a problem with poly as on a Taylor).    I always put a piece of low tack masking tape on the top each side of the fretboard and at the nut end.   You can mask off the sides of the board but it usually isn't necessary.    Blow the little bits of steel wool off the guitar when done with some compressed air - if you have a magnet you can pick them up with it.    Get 'em all off, they can scratch the finish.

btw - when I'm polishing frets (steel wool and sand paper starting at 600 and going to 2000) I use a draftsman's eraser shield - it has little slots that just fit over the frets and protect the fretboard

Archived