The Yamaha AC3R is everything I hoped it would be....

VintageToneGuy

• Members

...and more!

Been wanting to buy an Acoustic Electric for some time and started the research to see what the common consensus was on what's out there today. Lot's of good choices, but Yamaha keeps coming up on searches.

I found a store locally that carried many Yamaha models including the AC3M so I went over and did a test run on several models. Was immediately impressed with the AC3M and thought I'd give it a good home. Long story short, I liked the Yamaha due to body size and shape and a few other factors. It's now at home with me and I've played it quite a while and feel happy with my choice.

Yamaha makes some good guitars!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Stringbender11

View Post

I really believe Yamaha has acoustics down - even their cheapies - like the two I have, sound fantastic. People often talk about that brand as a good value for the money - and it is, but to my ears you give up nothing soundwise..

Are you including your AC3R as a cheapie? Just wondering. Not really sure what you meant by your statement. I guess i would say that an FG700 is a great sounding $200 guitar and a tremendous value, but I wouldn't pay $500 for that sound.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I got an AC3R a couple of weeks ago. Would someone tell me what is "cheap" (meaning low quality) about it? Looks and assembly are all beautiful, the case is only topped by a Breedlove case I have. Comes with a feedback buster plug (good thinking Yamaha).

I A/Bed this against Martin, etc in similar price range, and tho Martin was nice, this had better definition. Marty had no case, either. And the electronics.... nothing even close at that price. The 3 mic models do make a difference, like the focus control, etc etc. I run mine into a Thr10 amp, and it is so yummy. Perhaps a bit of overkill in that the amp also has sim for piezo/mic in gain when on acoustic setting...

I don't care about resale, and can think of no reason I would want to resell anyway. I care about how it sounds and plays for me now . maybe action could be a tad lower (I will do this when I get back to Thailand). Just for pure looks it blows most of the others out of the water, imho, tho that is not why I bought it.

Try a blindfold test or something with about anything within 400 bucks. Drop the prejudice. It is not a great Yamaha: it is a great guitar.

Archived