Q:Taylor battery connection problem

stratosaurus

• Members

I just bought a used Taylor 310CE with the Expression System. It uses 2 AA batteries dropped into the slot, but when I put the cap the compartment, it will not make a connection. If I take my finger and push down on the cap, the connection is made. Soon as I take the pressure off, the connection is lost. Anyone else have this problem or know of a way to remedy this? The other thing is that I have to physically beat on the guitar to get the batteries out, even after replacing them with new ones. Are these problems common or unusual? Personally, it seems to be a sorry system comapred to the previous single 9V battery/compartment. ...Also, not very impress with the Expression System either.

• Members

This is strictly a guess based on other battery operated products.. There are probably small springlike contacts at the bottom of the compartment and inside the cover. The springs may have been compressed to the point that they don't make good contact. You might be able to stretch the ones in the cover so that they make better contact. You can also clean the contacts with a pencil eraser to improve things but you really need to take your guitar to an authorized Taylor dealer. The business of beating the guitar to get the batteries out leads me to suspect damage to the battery holder and possibly the surrounding area.

• Members

It's obvious that one or both batteries are not making contact. I'll go along with DeepEnd's suggestion about stretching the spring contacts, but I wouldn't clean them with a pencil eraser. Just a minute amount of pencil eraser rubber can actually act as as insulator. I'd suggest cleaning the contacts with a Q-Tip dampened in alcohol or a couple of drops of lighter fluid. Don't use WD-40 either! WD-40 can also act as an insulator.

The spring contacts are for the "negative" end of the batteries. The other contacts, for the "positive" ends, can be lifted slightly with a bent paper clip. I'd check those, too.

And, you say the batteries are hard to remove. (?) Does this also mean they're harder to insert them in the battery compartment? I've actually experienced a few AA batteries that were very slightly larger in diameter than, say, Duracells or Energizers. I have a little pocket radio that I simply can't use AA batteries bought at "Dollar General". They fit my little Mag Lites, but not that radio. And, BTW, I don't have a problem with "dollar store" batteries as long as they're Alkaline batteries. I seem to get as much life out of them as if I spend more for Duracells.

Archived