Takamine GS330S vs. Takamine G340SC

Armchair Bronco

• Members

I want to get a starter acoustic guitar for my teenage daughter for Christmas.

She's been playing my Takamine EG-334SC and loves it...but she's not getting it! thumb.gif

I've narrowed down my choices to two other Takamine "G" series guitars, both of which are available online from GuitarCenter for $299. With a $50 off in-store coupon, they come in at $249 new, which is a good price I think.

Opinions? I'm leaning towards the single-cut G340SC model.

Takamine G340SC

http://www.takamine.com/guitars/g_se...noughts/g340sc

g340sc.png

Takamine GS330S

http://www.takamine.com/guitars/g_se...noughts/gs330s

gs330s.png

• Members

Between those two, I'd choose the 340 simply because the 330 has a cedar top and I prefer the spruce top that the 340 has, although the cutaway holds no attraction to me. I think either one is a good deal for the money. I'd also get a decent hardshell case for it at the same time.

• Members

Comes down to which specs are important, I'd say. 330 has a cedar top, narrow nut (42mm), 340 is spruce top, 42.5mm nut. Your 334 is spruce with a 42mm nut, I believe. The extra .5mm could make a difference, depending on the size of her hands, although string spacing makes a difference too, and no idea what it is on either guitar.

Personally, I like the warmth of cedar tops in general, though from what I'm recalling of the cedar Taks I've played, their 'warm' was more like 'dull'.

idn_smilie.gif

• Members

If she's got a light touch then I say go for the GS330S because I find cedar to be a wonderful tonewood with a light touch. OTOH I've never tried the 340. I just don't like the look of dreads with cutaways.

So in short: what I or anyone else here says doesn't matter. Give her a gift certificate for the amount and have her choose between the two.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by EdBega View Post
For the same money you might take a look at these. Very decent sound and might be a better fit for her.

Takamine GS430S $299.00
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Takamine...47-i1374585.gc
Hadn't seen this. Thanks for the link. I automatically keyed in "body shape = dreadnaught" with each search. But she's a petite 17 year old and maybe a different body shape would fit her better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Comes down to which specs are important, I'd say. 330 has a cedar top, narrow nut (42mm)...
I sneakily asked her today if should had learned to do barre chords on my EG334SC, but she said "No, it's too much of a stretch." So maybe something with a skinnier neck would be a better choice. If I'm not mistaken, my EG334SC and the similar 340SC both have relatively flat fretboards whereas the G330S look like it has a smaller radius, too.

• Members

So, my boys weighed in, and we collectively decided on the following:

Takamine G440C (NEX body shape with cutout)

http://www.takamine.com/guitars/g_series_nex/g440c

This is $50 cheaper than the GS430S, but it has more bling: a pickguard, abalone inlays, fancier bindings, gold hardware (not chrome), inlays in the fretboard, and string pegs in the body rather than through the bridge. The top is also shiney spruce rather than satin cedar. I'm also looking at Silver Creek vintage dreadnaught HSC @ $79. Thanks for all the feedback!

g440c.png

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco

View Post

I've played a lot of entry-level / sub $300 guitars at local shops, and to my ear, the only guitars I'd consider buying are Takamines and Washburns. Everything else sounds dull. Just a subjective opinion, but I've always been impressed with the consistent chime of low- and high-end Taks.

I hear ya, with the Yamahas it's the probably the cheap strings they come with. The cedar guitars tend to stand out but also the Taks come with D'Addarios I think. Either way you'll be fine.

• Members
I hear ya, with the Yamahas it's the probably the cheap strings they come with. The cedar guitars tend to stand out but also the Taks come with D'Addarios I think. Either way you'll be fine.
If this is true, then Yamaha and other vendors are making a BIG mistake by not equipping their factory guitars with better-sounding strings! I mean, the only thing I have to go on is how the thing sounds in the acoustic room @ Guitar Center. If I pick it up, play my Guitar Center riff a couple of times, and the guitar doesn't come alive, I put it down and move on to something else.

Usually, the Taks and Washburns *always* sound good, as do some of the mid-range and high-end Martins and Taylors (no surprise there). Ovation guitars are also nice and chimey, but that plastic back thingy is just too much to wrap my head around.

So, over the years, I just naturally gravitate to Taks and whenever I play them I'm like: "Damn! This sounds great!"

• Members

Taylors come with Elixirs, pretty smart IMO on their part but you can see some problems with that in what people prefer, say you don't like the sound of Elixirs that alone could turn you off of them. In the case of Yamahas they make their own strings and bottom line is price but there are some people who like the sound of those strings (as I recall from a thread a while back) so their marketing strategy works in a lot of cases I guess, just not for the people who don't have a tin ear ...

• Members
Taylors come with Elixirs, pretty smart IMO on their part but you can see some problems with that in what people prefer, say you don't like the sound of Elixirs that alone could turn you off of them. In the case of Yamahas they make their own strings and bottom line is price but there are some people who like the sound of those strings (as I recall from a thread a while back) so their marketing strategy works in a lot of cases I guess, just not for the people who don't have a tin ear ...
Sorta like looking at new cars in an outdoor lot that are covered with dust and bird droppings.

Sure, the dealer saved a few bucks by not keeping everything all spick-n-span. But even something as superficial as bird poop might be enough to turn away a prospective buyer. Why take that chance?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by EdBega

View Post

True. Taylors certainly do have a noticeable difference in the store when trying out guitars. However Taylors are in a different class, so spending an extra ten bucks on strings is a good marketing strategy. Most people out shopping for Taylors and other high end guitars are looking at sound, playability, and a host of other attributes in addition to cost. But people out shopping for budget guitars, cost is probably one of the things at the top of their list. Spending an extra $10 for a $200 guitar is adding 5% to the UMC.

• Members

I just ordered the Takamine G440C with the NEX body shape. I'm sure my daughter will love it. I think this guitar will have the right mix of size, shape, and bling. I waited so long that I had to use overnight shipping to guarantee it gets here on time for Christmas, but the good folks at GC gave me a little help.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

TG440CXXX_lg.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Members

HI,

This is my first post.

If you check Amazon this guitar (G340SC) is being sold below list for $ 349.99. If this is appealing to you, jump at it fast.

I saw this after purchasing mine elsewhere.(:

The seller has the same Tak for $ 499 at their .com address. When questioned, they could not adequately explain to me how they would have charged me $ 499.00 at their domain versus $ 349.99 at Amazon if I hadn't known any better. Yes, they are an Auth, Tak Re-seller.

Afterwards, I emailed Takamine CS with a few screenshots and was told they would contact the seller and have it pulled?

IMO, this is a great opportunity for a nice guitar..and If you recently purchase through MusiciansFriend - take advantage of your 150% price match guarantee.

Archived