Going rate for Gibson J-100 Extra

buckwild

• Members

Originally posted by buckwild

I just visited my local GC and they have a Gibson J-100 xtra for $1000. Is this a good deal. Does anybody have an opinion of these guitars. I'm a real newbie when it comes to acoustics.

Never heard of this model

Jim

• Members

Is it new or used? I have a 2003 that has maple back/sides, but I notice on the Gibson website that the new ones are bubinga b/s. Also, the older one has a mop rosette and black binding. I can't tell from the website what the new one has.

THE J100 is basically a stripped down J200, same body, but without all the fancy inlays and decoration that makes the J200 so expensive.

I love the sound of mine, very well balanced, lots of volume when strummed, and bright, classic Gibson sound (very different than Martin), beautiful tone. This is a great guitar for playing rhythm, but also good for flatpicking and finger picking. The Rev. Gary Davis played the J200, and he was no slouch at fingerstyle. It's not the optimal guitar for this style, but it's not bad either.

A couple of caveats.

I've never played anything with bubinga b/s, so have no idea how that affects the sound. Maybe someone else can tell you about that.

Mine came with the action set pretty high. I understand that's typical of Gibson, so unless some previous owner already had it done, count on getting a setup, or the action will drive you crazy.

This is a large body jumbo, so be sure your going to be comfortable playing it. That's real important. Spend some time in the store with it just noodling so you get some feel for how it's going to be holding this baby for long periods of time. Very different from an electric. If your a small person, you might want to consider a smaller body acoustic.

MSRP is in the $2200-2400 range, generally these retail for around $1600-1800, so $1,000 for a new or slightly used one is an excellent price. I paid that for mine (used), including the original Gibson hardshell case.

I assume you've taken a player/friend with you to test this baby out so you can hear it from in front, and a/b it with other guitars, right? And that your aware that most guitars in GC are going to sound pretty {censored}ty due to dead strings, so you should ask them to put a fresh set on so you can hear what it really sounds like before you pull the trigger. So, no need to mention that stuff.

Good luck, would like to hear what you deceide.

• Members

Buckwild: just to clarify my last post a bit. I'm a big fan of Gibson's maple bodied jumbos, love that sound, and at a grand I obviously think it's a great deal. If it's the newer bubinga model, well, sorry, can't help you there.

Some time reading the reviews of this model on HC would be well spent. And, if your shopping for your first acoustic, probably the best advice anyone can give you is to take your time, don't rush it, and go out and play as many as you can before making up your mind. If you have a thousand bucks to spend (and it sounds like you have), there's a lot available to you.

Best of luck.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

When Gibson brought back the J-100 (originally, they were made from 1939 'til 1943, and sold quite well),

early 40's J-100

back around 1987 or so, for the 1st couple years the back/sides were sycamore, then, again, later made of mahogany...those were fantastic instruments, but never really caught on (or Gibson could get maple cheaper, depending on who you talk with), so eventually the J-100 became a maple instrument.

There was also a short run in 1972, and these had teardrop pickguards, straight bridges, and mahogany b/s...you rarely see this era, though.

Today's bubinga models have more of a rosewood "flavor", and if the bling factor isn't important to you, I'd go check one out.

I'm told the newest J-100s have the smaller (non-mustachio) bridge, as well. Haven't yet seen one, though.

• Members

arkansherpa wrote:

It's probably worth at least $1,400.  These are the "cheaper" little brothers of the famous J 200 "Cowboy Guitar."  They are just as good only without all the racing stripes.  I'd snap it up!

It's a little late to "snap it up." This thread is 8 years old.

Archived