Tacoma JK50CE saddle problem I think

wichita6

• Members

I sent my Tacoma to fender to get some warranty work done (Re-finish) and they did an excellent job replacing frets, fret board...ect, but they replaced the saddle(why, I don't know) and I noticed it wasen't as easy to chord since the low side strings are a little higher than the hi end.

Is this normal for the higher pitched strings to be set closer to the fret board? I have some buzzing on the upper register of the neck on the higher strings. There are no luthiers in my area so what are my choices?

Fender no loger does Tacoma warranty work and no way to contact them.

Thanks 

• Members

Yes, as Freeman says, it's normal. Take some measurements and compare them to his figures. It's possible the saddle is a tad low on the treble side since you're experiencing buzzing and if there wasn't a problem before you can probably go a bit lower on the bass side. You should also check the relief. It's possible this is the reason for the treble side buzzing. How good are you at keeping your guitar properly humidified? Some of us are also currently experiencing physical changes in our guitars due to changing humidity and temperature. I any event, you don't need a luthier to make a new saddle for you. Many music stores can do modest repair and setup work; usually the person is called a guitar tech. You can also do the work yourself if you're patient and reasonably handy. You can measure the string height at the 12th fret with an ordinary ruler, although something graduated in 32nds of an inch is better. To measure the relief, put a capo at the first fret, hold down the low E at the body/neck joint and slip a feeler gauge between the string and seventh fret. Make a note of the size of the gap. When you're done taking measurements, post back and we'll give you more advice than you could possibly want.

Archived