Yamaha FG2500

Jmikey

• Members

I have a Yamaha FG2500 which is a handgrafted 12 string. I love the sound of this guitar and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it. I bought it new in 1980 or so. I paid $1000.00 for it and when playing other twelve string guitars I like the sound of this one much better, it is so full and rich. It has good action and no scrathes or marks.. It stays in a case when not being played.

• Members

the FG-1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500s sell for anywhere from $2500.oo to $4000.oo these days in Japan, not sure about a 12 string though, but they have become extremely collectable and when they show up on the used market here, they go very quickly, lots of players after them. The 2500 is listed in my Japan Vinatge books as retailing for 155,ooo yen when it was introduced in June 1975, not cheap be any definition?I have been looking for a 6 string from that series for a while but I`m too late... prices have already gone sky high and my guess is they won`t be coming down any time soon, still I`m very satisfied with my Dynamics and can`t really complain, I`ve been real lucky buying old MIJs in Japan, last weekend I got a 1980 Greco strat ST-600 with a 1 piece body, first time I`d seen a 600 series made from one piece of sen and it looks brand new, somebody really took great care of it, so even if I don`t find one of those FGs I have more than enough great guitars than any one guy could possibly need in a lifetime.

Sure would like to see pics of yourn.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Im not to computer savey so I don't know if I can get pictures. I will try. 155000 yen works out to about 2000.00 canadian so I paid 1000.00, a pretty good deal. Thanks again.

• Members

you`d have to check the web to see what the exchange rate was in 1980. but a few years agop when Fender Japan exported some of their models to America, the Sting bass, Marcus Miller bass, Bigsby tele and the Antiguas, I was surprised to read that prices were about half those in Japan for the same models at that time. But I`m sure yours is valued at more today than it was then. I have a bunch of old Yamahas and love em all, though I recently read the Dynamics were actually not built by Yamaha which would explain why they always seem to get ignored by the comapany when they refer to their guitar building history, they always start with the FGs, the first ones built in their own factories. Evidently the Dynamics were made by Suzuki and/or Tenryu.

• Members

Just to add a bit of info. There is two numbers on the label inside the body of the quitar. One is 1246, and the other is 1973. I believe the 1973 is the year it was made. This guitar has ezo spruce top, jacaranda sides and back, honduras mahogany neck, and ebony fingerboard and bridge. I think jacaranda is brazilian rosewood. Still working on getting pictures.

• Members

Just to add a bit of info. There is two numbers on the label inside the body of the quitar. One is 1246, and the other is 1973. I believe the 1973 is the year it was made. This guitar has ezo spruce top, jacaranda sides and back, honduras mahogany neck, and ebony fingerboard and bridge. I think jacaranda is brazilian rosewood. Still working on getting pictures.

Jacaranda is not Brazilian Rosewood. But, Many of the 1500,2000,2500's were sold as Jacaranda but were old stock BZ. My FG1500 is with out a doubt Brazilian.

After 69' they were not supposed to use Brazilian but you know....... change the name and carry on.

• Members

I always thought Jacaranda was Brazillian rosewood. I guess I'm learning every day... One thing is sure, Jmikey has a tremendous instrument in his hands of highest quality and my hat goes to him for hanging on to it.

Nope, not even a Rosewood. It goes by Jacaranda, Pau Fero, Morado and Bolivian Rosewood. Lots of the same tonal qualities. My FG300 and a Webber I had were Jacaranda. Nice wood, I bet the 2500 is BZ

• Members

Thanks Junkie, You may very well be right. I had called Yamaha in New York and talked to someone there. Didn't get the guys name but I just asked for whatever info he could give me. I had always thought the sides and back were BZ, he is the one that told me they were Jacaranda. I don't know where he got his info. I did read somewhere that in the mid 60's Yamaha had gone to South America and bought up a bunch of different exotic woods. Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Members

Hey Mikey! I bought an FG 2000 in Germany in '76 and it really didn't open up until about 13 years ago. It was labeled Jacaranda but not on any official Yamaha paperwork - just by the seller. It sure looks like BZ to me and it beats the pants off any guitar I have ever owned - Martin, Taylor, Tama, Takamine, Adamas, Gibson, Yairi - you name it! Got a cousin who's a recording engineer that has tried to buy it from me for studio work. BTW, if you EVER decide to sell the 2500, I'd love to have a matched pair. Just missed one on ebay a few months ago that probably went for a lower-than-possible price!!!!! Be sure you keep that baby humidified properly!! My FG 2000 is a sight to behold and I'm sure the 2500 sounds like a million bucks!

Archived