Yamaha guitars overrated?

billybilly

• Members

Recently, I have played almost every popular guitar available in North America for $1500 and less, many have been Yamaha's, AC3R, LL16, L6, etc...   While they are built well and good guitars, they didn't hold a candle to say the Martin DSR's, Blueridge, Eastman's etc...  While they appear durable, they sound like an over-produced CD, sterile with no body (tinny).  I suppose tone is subjective and while I still believe they are good value, they are overrated.  The end.

• Members

billybilly wrote:

Recently, I have played almost every popular guitar available in North America for $1500 and less, many have been Yamaha's, AC3R, LL16, L6, etc...   While they are built well and good guitars, they didn't hold a candle to say the Martin DSR's, Blueridge, Eastman's etc...  While they appear durable, they sound like an over-produced CD, sterile with no body (tinny).  I suppose tone is subjective and while I still believe they are good value, they are overrated.  The end.

Definitely very subjective. My opinion would be quite the opposite. I've been thinking about buying another LL6, because my experience with the last one was so good in every respect. I was much more pleased with it than I have been with several much more expensive guitars I've owned. Not to say that it was necessarily "better," in the final analysis but, IMHO, for the prices they charge I can't beat 'em. I find that I am never unimpressed with a Yamaha acoustic, but it all really is just a matter of personal taste. I like them a lot.

• Members

I came to the conclusion that Yamaha's "target" customers are people looking for an acoustic guitar in the $700 or less category. And, in that price range I think Yamaha guitars are damned hard to beat for playability, sound, build quality and just general consistency of product.

You may be right if talking about guitars in the $1500 range, but most Yamaha buyers aren't buying guitars in that price range.

About 3

• Members

A couple of years ago, I bought a Parkwood PW320M from Guitar Center. I played three Yamaha FS720 guitars on the wall that day and all three of those were very thin sounding. I also played a few Taylors, a few Martins, and a couple of Breedlove auditorium-like (higher end Passports). The one guitar that really sang to me that day was the Parkwood. I was prepared to spend a lot more money than I did by the time I left the store.

In the way of a comparison, I just bought a new Grand Auditorium-bodied Eastman guitar and it sounds rich and full with great balance across the strings. I sold my Masterbilt DR500MEns (big dreadnaught style) in favor of a more balanced tone.

It has been my experience that Yamaha dreadnaught-style guitars are nice guitars for the money.

• Members

It's all a matter of personal taste.  I had a Yammie LJ6 for a while and it sounded great with the addition of a bone saddle, a nut and bridge pins.  It was $500.  I sold it to buy a Martin 000-15 which I thought didn't hold a candle to the Yamaha sound wise.  I got rid of that for an Alvarez MF350 which was a great solid rosewood guitar.  Sold that and now have a Blueridge w/solid hog back and sides.  Sounds real good and plays real good.  I'm sorry I sold the Alvarez, not sorry I sold the Martin and sorry I sold the Yamaha.  I've also owned a Parkwood w/hog back and sides and I'm glad I sold that.  Point is the most expensive one was the Martin and I found that to have the poorest sound of them all.  Personal taste!

BigAl :manvery-happy:

• Members

Stophe88 wrote:

Anyone play nylon Yamahas??

I've got an old model.. I don't recall what it is off the top of my head but I'll post it once I get home.

That thing sounds miles better than other soft string guitars I've played.

Yes. I have two nylon string Yammies: an old G-231II classical and an old APX6-NA hybrid. They are both great sounding guitars and I play them regularly and often.

And to add to the post above about the quality of electric Yammies - absolutely! - top class instruments. I think the Yamaha Pacifica 112 is probably the best, value-for-money electric guitar on the market. 

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I'd say Yamahas are under rated. I got AC3R 1 1/2 years ago. ABC'd against Taylor and Martin same price range. Pretty even on Martin un amped, but preamp on AC much much better (though a bit low on output). Also came with outstanding case and even feedback buster, and far better looking: not at all cutrate. Pretty good for $765 (thank you GC for giving 15% off & gave 2 sets Elixir without even asking). Quite far away from $1500 too. Wonderful sound and getting better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

depends on the player - would you have said that to this guy -

Says it all. I've read a ton of interviews where he was asked why he played a Yamaha, and his answer was always, "because I haven't found anything that sounds and plays better."

• Members
The Yamaha FG-30 has been my go-to recommendation for newbies for years' date=' Seagull S-6 if they're willing to gamble a bit more on whether they'll stick with it. Both are excellent instruments.[/quote']

I had an FG 360's or 370 that I hauled all over including the beach.

I finally wore the thing out basically.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a Yamaha A3R and an AC3R. They're 2 years old and they sound awesome. A guitar isn't going to sound it's best when it's never been played. Trust me when I say these have been played. I am retired and I spend 5 to 6 hours a day playing one of the 2 guitars, though once in a while I'll play my 000 TO-8418 Wechter, The Yamahas are well broken in and they both sound amazing. A friend told me the AC3R was the best sounding guitar he had ever heard. It does sound great. It's not to bass heavy and it's very well balanced. Perfect for fingerstyle. The A3R is opening up really well. It sounds much better than it did when I bought it. The open pore necks feel like they've been played 20 years. They're so comfortable to play. I put medium light Earthwoods on the concert and Martin FX mediums and medium lights on the dreadnought, depending on the mood I'm in. I love both guitars and neither are going anywhere. I own a dozen acoustics and I've fonud if you don't play one often, they start to "tighten-up". It takes a few days even weeks to get them back to normal. So please don't say a guitar sounds "tinny" when it's brand new. It's never been played. They need to be broken in. I have a 36 year old Martin and it sounds 5 times better than one of my best friends 8 year old one. I've played long enough to know when a guitar is well-built. These Yamaha are. The Martin is played by my friend and I play it a lot. My friend is a luthier and he said my D-35 sounded better than a $10,000.00 Santa Cruz that is in is shop for new strings. That made my year.

• Like 1

• Members

Yamaha has a range of quality in their products, but none of them are junk. My favorite guitar right now is a GCX-171CC. My wife "gave" it to me for our twentieth anniversary. In addition to the peizo, it has one of those condenser mics under the soundhole, which is prone to feedback, its one flaw. A friend had someone give him a G-90A that someone else had equipped with steel strings. One of the tuners was bent and frozen. I had an extra set of tuners from my Carvin NS1 - another story. After installing the new tuners and strings, the little box sounded great. I did some research, found out that it was from around 1970. The fact that it had laminate construction may have saved it from the steel strings.

Anyway, if you find one of these G-90A guitars, it's not a high end classic, but it's a great workman like instrument, with good action and sound.

The label on the G-90A said "Made in Taiwan, Republic of China." That made me guess it was probably more than a few years old.

Edited by thankyou