Maintenence of the Wood of the Acoustic Guitar

beter pan

• Members

I got a Taylor 110 guitar. It's top is sitka spruce; its back and sides are laminated sapele; its neck is also sapele and its neck is ebony. It has a thin vernice finish. And I am quite newbie to acoustic guitars. I am living by a less-salty sea, which the climate is pretty rainy and humid, and average warm, about 30 degrees Celsius daytime in summer, and 3 degrees Celsius in winter; neither tropical, nor colder.

I want to learn the maintenance of the wood of my guitar. I apply Dunlop lemon oil to the fretboard, like I do to my electric guitar. But what about the neck and the other wooden parts? Is applying natural sweet almond oil a correct treatment like it is done to other wooden instruments?

• Members

All you need is a damp cloth and a dry one. Wipe it down with the damp one, then wipe it up with the dry one.  Use that Dunlop lemon oil on something else. If you ever feel the need to apply any oil to the fretboard, I'd recommend just a couple of drops of regular old "baby oil" and maybe once every two years at the most. Use your fingertip to apply it, then wipe it dry with a dry cloth........it's all you need to do to keep your Taylor looking like new.

Archived