Alvarez Yairi guitars

nibsborg

• Members

I am fairly new to this forum so forgive me if this has been beaten to death but what is the general concensus regarding Yairi guitars? I had a DY52 that was awesome (to me) but I had to give it up a few years ago. I am looking for another 52 or maybe another "mustache" Yairi. Just wondering what you folks thought about them.

Thanks!

JB

• Members

The first guitar I ever owned was an Alvarez Yairi DY45 that I paid $400 for including the case in 1980. I used it for about 10 years and gave it away to a friend of mine. I've owned a few others. They have a sound and playability comparable to Martins in my opinion.

• Members

Excellent guitars. Never owned one but I've heard several and played some and always been impressed. Here's one on your local Craigslist:
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1628344701.html
. A decent but not outstanding deal if you need the electronics.

Thanks DeepEnd! I am not really looking for a cut-away or on board electronics but that is one sweet looking guitar!! Also just a tiny bit out of my price range....I've got about a grand or so man-toy allowance this quarter.:)

• Members

I have a A-Y 5065 (1973) that has been my mainstay for many years (reviewed it on HC Reviews site). I just took it to a luthier for some minor fret work and he stated that he was a certified Alvarez warranty repair guy about a decade ago. He thought my old 5065 was one of the nicest A-Y dreads he had seen in years. He also had a theory that the best ones were produced in the 1970s when Kazuo Yairi was involved in all aspects of making the guitar rather than having many people's fingerprints on the assembly. This luthier was not as complementary of newer production as with the older ones. There was a long list of top drawer artists that played A-Y in the 1970/80s but the popularity has slipped of late. I would not sell my 5065 at any price but I am not looking that seriously at newer ones. All newer models that I have played recently have not knocked my socks off. I A/Bed the 5065 against Martin D28 and D35 standards and hands down I would keep the 5065. Granted that mine is 37 years old but the balance is superb and it is louder and warmer than the new Martins.

• Members

I had a CY 140, Braz rosewood...GREAT guitar, beautiful sound and so easy to play with the nylon strings...wish I had not traded it away...but as we all know GAS is a terrible affliction!!

Check out the YAIRI forum group on Yahoo.com...some interesting comments on different models there.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

I was lucky to pick up Alvarez 5065  (Alvarez only on headstock) that says by K Yairi w/ signiture on the label. It is serial # 289. I believe that K Yairi made this guitar and have owned both a 28 and a 41 and this 5065 is the prize of them all.. laminate or not. (Dated 7/7/72).  saulie (PS>> Bigskybound.. I used to live in Montana).

Archived