Yamaha Stage PAS portable PA

FormerlyBassred

• Members

FormerlyBassred wrote:

Has anyone here ever used

I'm thinking of getting one to use doing small acoustic shows and to use on stage with a full-on rock band as an acoustic amp solution. 

Let me know your thoughts!

Yes I have used this PA. A local coffeeshop had one for use by bands and other performers, and I used it as a duo and as a band of four a few times. I thought it was fine for a small venue, but at that same venue I now use my Peavey PA and I like having larger speakers, more available power, and more inputs. 

If I only ever played at a venue that size, it might be fine most of the time. But sometimes we play outdoors or in bigger rooms, and in those instances the extra wattage is useful. And you can never have too many inputs. 

The Yamaha's great advantage is portability. Small and light and simple set-up is a great goodness!

• Members

In 30+ years of using Yamaha electronics I have never had a complaint , 34 year old 6 Channel powered PA head still working good ! More power than you need is always good , if you can afford it , headroom is nice to have .

• Members

Nice "starter" PA for a solo act or a duo playing low volume places, like restaurants, but I'm wondering how long those 8" woofers will hold up in the rockband usage...might consider a 12" + horn cab or two for those times..

• Members

Thanks for all the input (no pun intented)! 

I'm looking for portable, becuase doing acoustic solo gigs should be easy in my opinion. I won't need any more inputs than this unit has. I've had box mixers and PA tops with 12" woofers in the past. I'm looking for the one-and-done (carry my guitar in one hand and drag a PA in it's own roller-bag or put it all on my small cart.)

For the rock band, the venues have giant PA's - it's just very hard to get the monitor engineers to actually run the acoustic guitar, banjo and mandolin up hot enough in the monitors (even when everyone on stage is asking for more - with only one or two exceptions in the past year and a half) and there are parts that I go to just my acoustic and it gets really weak on stage. We need to hear the acoustic to sing the right notes.. So I would run the acoustic, the mando and banjo into their own DI's that go to the house sound system and send (through the paralel outpus on the DI's) them to the portable PA in place of an acoustic amp behind the banjo/mado player with all 3 acousticinstruments going through it to give us a little more fullness onstage. It won't ever need to be any louder than 'moderate-sized coffe shop' levels. 

There is a StagePas with 10" speakers, too, which is most likely the way I'd be going.

Archived