First Song

poppytater

• Members

What was the first song you learned to play? Do you still play it? Same version or kicked up a notch? Would you recommend it for a beginner, if not, what would you suggest? My first was A Horse With No Name, I rarely play it.

• Members

The first song I ever learned to play was The Kingston Trio's version of "Tom Dooley" back in 1958. I'd gotten a cheap first guitar for Christmas of that year and this song was the whole reason I wanted it to begin with. I haven't played the song in years, but I still remember the words to it and the good feeling I got the first time I was able to play it and sing it all the way through. My first attempts at it only used two chords......G & D7. I later added a C chord and an E minor chord and it sounded a lot better. Made me feel like I was getting "fancy" with it. :smileylol:

I'm still in love with American folk and "roots" music today. I like a song that tells a story and, for me, The Kingston Trio started the whole journey.  

http://www.kingstontrioplace.com/tdooleydoc.htm

• Members

Opa John wrote:

The first song I ever learned to play was The Kingston Trio's version of "Tom Dooley" back in 1958. I'd gotten a cheap first guitar for Christmas of that year and this song was the whole reason I wanted it to begin with. I haven't played the song in years, but I still remember the words to it and the good feeling I got the first time I was able to play it and sing it all the way through. My first attempts at it only used two chords......G & D7. I later added a C chord and an E minor chord and it sounded a lot better. Made me feel like I was getting "fancy" with it.
:smileylol:

I'm still in love with American folk and "roots" music today. I like a song that tells a story and, for me, The Kingston Trio started the whole journey.  

I think Tom Dooley might've been the first song I learned to play, as well, but it was Doc Watson's version, which is a bit less sanitized than TKT's version (a trifle graphic in the details!) Took a few more years before I could pull off the pickin', though.

Hang your head, Tom Dooley,

Hang your head and cry;

You killed poor Laurie Foster,

And you know you're bound to die.

You left her by the roadside

Where you begged to be excused;

You left her by the roadside,

Then you hid her clothes and shoes.

Hang your head and cry;

You took her on the hillside

For to make her your wife;

You took her on the hillside,

And ther you took her life.

You dug the grave four feet long

And you dug it three feet deep;

You rolled the cold clay over her

And tromped it with your feet.

Hang your head and cry;

"Trouble, oh it's trouble

A-rollin' through my breast;

As long as I'm a-livin', boys,

They ain't a-gonna let me rest.

I know they're gonna hang me,

Tomorrow I'll be dead,

Though I never even harmed a hair

On poor little Laurie's head."

Hang your head and cry;

"In this world and one more

Then reckon where I'll be;

If is wasn't for Sheriff Grayson,

I'd be in Tennesee.

You can take down my old violin

And play it all you please.

For at this time tomorrow, boys,

Iit'll be of no use to me."

Hang your head and cry;

"At this time tomorrow

Where do you reckon I'll be?

Away down yonder in the holler

Hangin' on a white oak tree.

Hang your head and cry;

Great song.

• Members

Gosh, I don't really remember. I started taking lessons as a kid in the 70s and the teacher used the Mel Bay Method. I think the first song was Down in the Valley - or was it Love Me Tender? Those were just snippets though. It wasn't until years later that I learned a song I really liked all the way through. IIRC it was AC/DC "You Shook Me All Night Long" but we're talking acoustics here so then I'd have to qualify that the next song I played all the way through was "Stairway to Heaven" which was also the first song I ever learned all the words and sang along to. I don't play it much anymore - for obvious reasons.  

• Members

Michael Martin wrote:

It was either "Gloria" by Van Morrison or "House of the Rising Sun" as done by The Animals. The former is great for making quick chord changes;
the latter good for learning arpeggios and pick control.

Ah. Now I began to fingerpick right from the start and those arpeggios provided excellent introductory lessons for thumb and finger control.

Archived