Didja Ever..........

Opa John

• Members

......buy a guitar, or any other musical instrument, simply because at the time you bought it, it was a "good deal"?

You see a guitar ad, and you know the price is a LOT lower than it should be. So.....you go check it out and it's in perfect condition. You buy it knowing that you're not crazy about it, but you also know you can flip it for a profit later on if you don't eventually fall in love with it.

Then, you bring it home, play it for a year or so, wanting to love it, but you never do, and then you sit around wondering why the hell you bought the damned thing in the first place.

I've done this exact thing twice now in the past 3 or 4 years. Both were guitars that I bought for a lot less than what they should've been priced at. I sold one of them a couple of years ago (at a very nice profit, BTW) and I'm going to be selling the other one in the very near future. I'm sure I'll make a couple bucks on this second one, too.

I've made myself a solemn promise to not get sucked into a "good price" deal anymore. Damn the money! If I'm not totally in love with the guitar, or whatever it is, I'm not buying it. Finding something you love is hard enough to do......selling something you don't love is simply a PITA that I no longer care do deal with.

My wheeling & dealing days are done! From now on, if I don't fall head over heels in love with it from the get-go, I don't care how low the price is. If I can't love it, it ain't a "good deal".

Sure. I've made money doing this, but money ain't the reason I started playing guitar. I play guitar because of the pleasure playing them brings me. Playing a guitar is a lot more fun than buying/selling/trading them.

• Members

Yep, mostly from gas whipped up on these forums.  I bought the Gretsch cowboy guitar like that, and it was a piece of crap.  Everybody starts buying and deal spotting and posting and then I pull the trigger and, meh.

I stopped buying years ago and now am only looking to thin the herd. 

Archived