May MMXIII VOM (Virtual Open Mike)...post here!

Michael Martin

• Members

Here's mine for May (trying out Soundcloud after a few years of using Box.net, which has been giving me trouble recently).

https://soundcloud.com/mdmartin/let-me-count-the-ways

I wrote this song for (and in appreciation of) my friend Zhe Ying, who is Chinese/Malaysian (hence the geographical imagery). Just one of those people you meet by chance and it feels like you have been connected for ages, and you know you will be friends for all time.

Some of you might recognize a few familiar phrases in the lyrics

• Members

Well it's been 8 months since I last recorded anything, but here is my latest creation.   I colaborated with two great guys on Kompoz.com, Nigel Robinson from Scotland on drums and Danny Milligan from New Mexico on lead guitar. 

I am learning alot about home recording, and there is so much more to learn!  This is a great time to be making music at home....there are so many cheap or free tools.  Love to hear any feedback as always, and I look forward to hearing everyones submissions. 

If you haven't figured it out yet I used to post on here as Chriscarnucci

Had to use a different signin as HC doesnt seem to know my old name anymore....oh well.

• Members

...thanks again ghosthost. Submitting a partially developed punk rockers and deadlifters from the upcoming glowface album. Still have keys and lead to add, but you can get a feel for where its going. Feedback appreciated and will influence how its finished. This is workshop for me......thanks in advance. Will listen comment on other songs. Carnucci, good stuff man....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=12302805

• Members

..alright..hold on a minute!  call the coast guard, rally the horses, stock the bunkers, grab the kerosene lamps, i think some sort of technical malfuntion lost my reply to mr martin's tune, so i repeat via another method as i listen to the excellent dylan cover from garthman.  twice, just to make sure i get the full effect.  (a rule of thumb that should be encouraged here at vom.)  you got the song just bleeding, or crying, from your lungs garthman.  great picking too.  in and out of happiness, ain't it true.  finding the middle way.....mr martin, your tune was incredibly done.  the ending is just down right cool.  the shakers draw you back in teh song and ''a mountain of moments, a river of days" is forever blazed in my mind...great line, and with a hook...ok, i'm gonna hit and see where this goes...             

• Members

...speaking of kerosene...townes' pancho and lefty...nice version opa john, never heard it like that..kicked it up and it popped along a bit quicker, especially the opening...like i'm sitting there listening to this thinking i'm in some sort of dusty texico bar, neon street lights making everything glow....lefty scrammed up north, not able to understand why survival seems worse than death.  no fame.  no glory.....enjoyed.        

• Members

...carnucci, the whole production is outstanding, the video along with the tune, rolling the lyrics.  the strings in the song really make this one float...vocals very well done and the lines are finished.  great collaboration/recording.  the other players are right on.  amazing what you can do these days.  nothing can hold the creative output back any more.  nvever a more liberated time for artists.  release/publish at the click of a mouse or touch of a screen.  the hucksters are getting shut out...keep it up...    

• Members

...hoddy, that is some country with 70s soul...before nasville completely transformed it into what we have now...no soul, no cattle, no Western...puke....this is more like it in melody, lyrics, and soul... Sam Houston is ashamed of his native Tennessee for what they'be done to country music...thank the Lord for bluegrass and Texas...thanks hoddy..

• Members

I have not posted anything for VOM in a long time. But, I am putting together a few tunes for "singles" gigs-- just me and an acoustic/electric guitar for promotional purposes when I play by myself.

The guitar is the new Eastman HE122CE and the recording was made as follows:

Mixer Behringer UB1202 with CAD M177 mic and SM57 (pointed at the guitar). The guitar is plugged into the UB1202 (vocals panned full-left, guitar panned full right). The L-R channel outs are fed into a Tascam DP-008 digital multi-tracker.

I used Mixcraft (w/MasterLimiter and a little reverb rather than using the reverb from the DP-008). I created the MP3 files with Mixcraft.

The first song is "Typical Day" (written in 1992 - this song appeared on an album I did that year. It was used in the sound-track of the LaFemme Nikita TV show in Europe.

The second song is "Is Anybody Going My Way?" and is a true story. This actually happened while I was driving on I-80 across Pennsylvania from the Poconos to Columbus, Ohio.

http://www.tricornpublications.com/music/typical_day.mp3

http://www.tricornpublications.com/music/my_way.mp3

• Members

I hope no one minds -is there two VOM's runing ?

Iposted this over on MV then found on here :catfrustrated:

Spoiler

nothin fresh to offer but I'd like to contribute something - so -

I recorded this last year to let people hear a picking technique I use and was trying (badly) to describe - a sound clip is worth a thousand words kinda thing.

The tune is a Scottish pipe tune :lol:

https://www.box.com/s/4lxl7ypy2jgc4pacjtuh

• Members

Seorie wrote:

I hope no one minds -is there two VOM's runing ?

Iposted this over on MV then found on here :catfrustrated:
Spoiler

Yes--there are parallel simultaneous VOMs here and at Melody Vine:

http://village.melodyvine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=474&sid=b88426c81a6933f3f6837fa45e1149b9

Please post both places if you like! Some people post in both, but some don't, so check 'em both out. And thanks to all for the music.

• Members

...seorie, that's a great sound as we plop plop fizz fizz to the end of mothers day and vom.  i gotta tell you, the whining and moaning most mothers put up with on a daily basis is astounding.  it's just not right.  but it'll never change.  the second time through the song i really listened for the subtle playing.  you're picking notes all over.  and the tune keeps running fast.  those scots played all night.  sounds coming out of the git nicely.  dark and bold.  my legs are popping!  my elbows are juiced....good tune...   

• Members

Hypno - Very cool tune.  Cant wait to hear the finished product.  Love the bass line.  Keys will add such a nice touch to this song.  Good strong vocals.  The recording quality is awesome too.  Nice job.

• Members

Master - First song sounds great.  Good sound with strong vocals.  Should work good in your set.  And its awesome your published!  :)

The second song is great too.  A classic sound, should work well with most audiences.  Great job!

• Members

There are some "productions" here. Two stand-outs in particular in that regard. Hoddy and Chris... Hoddy, the full band is fluid. That is a good studio mix. Chris, your sliding lyrics are pretty cool. Nice collaborative effort.

Opa John, nice ballad. I love songs that are stories.

BTW... Music & Arts still had that Hummingbird Epi on the wall when I was in there on Saturday picking up guitar strings.

• Members

masterbuilt wrote:

Opa John, nice ballad. I love songs that are stories.

BTW... Music & Arts still had that Hummingbird Epi on the wall when I was in there on Saturday picking up guitar strings.

Thanks Mick......when I first listened to the recording I wasn't going to submit it because I know I've done it a lot better at times. I always just give it shot and hope for the best. I'm working on something that I think will sound better for next month's VOM1T.

I couldn't access yours due to the MP3 format, but I'm sure you did a great job on it. Actually, I think everybody did a great job. Sure would like to see a lot more participation, though. Don't be shy, guys! We're just in it for the fun of it, so let's hear whatcha got.

As for that Hummingbird, I called M&A Saturday morning to make sure they still had it. I came real close to driving over there and getting it. Then, I did a little more research and found out their price wasn't as great a deal as I first thought. Originally, I'd thought the Epi Hummingbird acoustics were selling for $299 on line, but then I realized those were the A&E versions. The straight acoustic version is selling for about the same price as M&A. They ARE, however, being discontinued, so I'd expect to see some "blow out" prices on 'em soon. I could be wrong on that point too, though, because a lot of the online diealers show it as "no longer available". And, really, the more I think about it, the less I want one. I still like 'em, but they're just a little too "blingy" for my taste. But, who knows? I might buy one yet, just for the hell of it. I've never owned a red guitar before.

Archived