We all have a different expectaton of how an acoustic should sound..

Stringbender11

• Members

I own two beat up Yamaha dreadnought acoustics I bought used and have had for about a year each, I think one is an F310 & the other an F325. They were both inexpensive when new - laminate bodies, no binding, cheap tuners, etc - but to myears they sound fantastic, exactly what I personally think of as what an acoustic guitar should sound like. They're both very full sounding, and warm - and project very strongly.

I've compared them to a few (but only a few) guitars that cost much more, guitars that cost around $700-$1,000, and I felt like those guitars didnt sound nearly as good. Some of the other ones I tried sounded kinda flat in comparison, lifeless. This got me thinking that all of us seem to have our own expectations of how an acoustic should sound, what sounds sweet to our ears, and I was hoping to hear some opinions on this from other acoustic players on here.

I should also mention I'm not implying here that expensive guitars dont sound any better than cheap ones, I dont believe that of course. I just find it fascinating that sometimes price doesnt seem to be the end all, that sometimes you find something inexpensive that sounds 'right'. :)

Archived