Tell me more about Sigma ...

EdBega

• Members

EdBega wrote:

These are right up my alley, only place I've found them is on eBay though. 

I'm just gonna wait 'til they start showin' up locally so I'll be able to check one out. I can't make up my mind by looking at a picture.

I like the specs and pricing.......no problem there.

• Members

I'm betting the new ones will be pretty good. I only know about them from from back in the day +-30 yrs ago.

Back in the late 70s, early 80s there was only 2 pretty darn close Martin Dred knock offs,

one was the upper end of Sigma line of Dreds and the other was the Alvarez Yari line.

I know people who still own old Sigma Dreds and Yaris from that period and they have aged and held up very well. Its very possible to get great work out of China nowadays.

• Members

Ive tried Sigmas out as there are many where i am ..and a nice sounding guitar and worth their money

I tried all different ones in store ..and also tried other makes like Eastman , Martin 

(Guild Gads Chinese made) all nice guitars

although in my opinion the Guild gad i tried out costing

• Members

The Sigma name is now owned by AMI Musical Instruments GmbH in Germany. The guitars are made in China, and are not related to the original Sigmas marketed by CFM. I'm betting they'll have a hard time trying to market them in the US, for obvious reasons.

That Sigma logo is obviously intended to look like the Martin logo. Maybe just a hair on the legal side of lawsuit territory. Kind like the old "lawsuit" Takamines from the seventies.

• Members

FretFiend. wrote:

The Sigma name is now owned by AMI Musical Instruments GmbH in Germany. The guitars are made in China, and are not related to the original Sigmas marketed by CFM. I'm betting they'll have a hard time trying to market them in the US, for obvious reasons.

That Sigma logo is obviously intended to look like the Martin logo. Maybe just a hair on the legal side of lawsuit territory. Kind like the old "lawsuit" Takamines from the seventies.

Well, that's interesting. And fucking annoying. Here I was getting all excited about the potential to finally own something at least similar to a J-40 at a bargain price... No wonder. Still, attractive guitars. And if the YouTube demos I was able to find of the DR-41 are accurate examples, that's a damn nice looking and sounding guitar. Maybe some day if availability, GAS and finances are all aligned just right...

• Members

FretFiend. wrote:

They changed the Logo. The new Logo looks fugly and takes away a lot of the charme of the Sigma brand.

• Members

Pineapple, I have a Sigma lam b/s and two Martins, a D35 and a D40. Not the worst guitars Martin ever made.

The Sigma holds it's own against the Martins in any context other than recording with a sensitive mic. In a band context, in a session context and even in an acoustic duo the differences between the Sigma and the Martins are indescernible. Absolutely gigworthy and given the price definitively a steal. At least mine.

I take it to my electric/acoustic gigs and it works and sounds at least as good as my friend's Martin D16RGTCE. But it was only a third of the Martin's pricetag.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I bought a 000m-15 yesterday and I couldn't be happier with it. Incredible tone and playability and looks stunning too. Ok it's never going to match up to martins for build quality etc but it played perfectly straight out of the box, I took it to my luthier to check it over who was dumbstruck by it as it was set up perfectly already. He is now looking at buying one himself!

Excellent value for money and a great guitar too.

• Members

The Utch wrote:

I bought a 000m-15 yesterday and I couldn't be happier with it. Incredible tone and playability and looks stunning too. Ok it's never going to match up to martins for build quality etc but it played perfectly straight out of the box, I took it to my luthier to check it over who was dumbstruck by it as it was set up perfectly already. He is now looking at buying one himself!

Excellent value for money and a great guitar too.

Congrats! Where did you buy it?

Pics? Clips?

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Just bought the Sigma GJA-SG200L sight unseen from a shop in England (gulp). Like most of humanity, I can’t afford the Gibson J200. I bought a Chibson J200 two years ago, which was a total waste ( the bridge pulled away from the bought within a year) but  got hooked on the size, looks and sound.  The ETA for the Sigma is next week. Being a lefty player, I’m used to doing things that most righty players would never dream of ,like buying a guitar not sold in the USA. Here’s hoping all the YouTube reviews of the Sigma are true.

• 1 year later...