Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me more about Sigma ...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse







X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tell me more about Sigma ...

    These are right up my alley, only place I've found them is on eBay though. 

    http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=259 

    http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=305


  • #2

    EdBega wrote:

    These are right up my alley, only place I've found them is on eBay though. 

     


     

    I'm just gonna wait 'til they start showin' up locally so I'll be able to check one out. I can't make up my mind by looking at a picture.

    I like the specs and pricing.......no problem there.

    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br><br>Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 Yamaha<br><br>A fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox &quot;Big Ben&quot; wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.</font></div>

    Comment


    • Pine Apple Slim
      Pine Apple Slim commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm betting the new ones will be pretty good. I only know about them from from back in the day +-30 yrs ago.
      Back in the late 70s, early 80s there was only 2 pretty darn close Martin Dred knock offs,
      one was the upper end of Sigma line of Dreds and the other was the Alvarez Yari line.
      I know people who still own old Sigma Dreds and Yaris from that period and they have aged and held up very well. Its very possible to get great work out of China nowadays.

  • #3

    Ive tried Sigmas out as there are many where i am ..and a nice sounding guitar and worth their money

    I tried all different ones in store ..and also tried other makes like Eastman , Martin 

    (Guild Gads Chinese made) all nice guitars

     

    although in my opinion the Guild gad i tried out costing

    Comment


    • #4

      The Sigma name is now owned by AMI Musical Instruments GmbH in Germany. The guitars are made in China, and are not related to the original Sigmas marketed by CFM. I'm betting they'll have a hard time trying to market them in the US, for obvious reasons.

      That Sigma logo is obviously intended to look like the Martin logo. Maybe just a hair on the legal side of lawsuit territory. Kind like the old "lawsuit" Takamines from the seventies.

      Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society, Martin snob, vitriolic sociopath, and tantrumist

      Comment


      • knockwood
        knockwood commented
        Editing a comment

        FretFiend. wrote:

        The Sigma name is now owned by AMI Musical Instruments GmbH in Germany. The guitars are made in China, and are not related to the original Sigmas marketed by CFM. I'm betting they'll have a hard time trying to market them in the US, for obvious reasons.

        That Sigma logo is obviously intended to look like the Martin logo. Maybe just a hair on the legal side of lawsuit territory. Kind like the old "lawsuit" Takamines from the seventies.


        Well, that's interesting. And ****************ing annoying. Here I was getting all excited about the potential to finally own something at least similar to a J-40 at a bargain price... No wonder. Still, attractive guitars. And if the YouTube demos I was able to find of the DR-41 are accurate examples, that's a damn nice looking and sounding guitar. Maybe some day if availability, GAS and finances are all aligned just right...


      • Pine Apple Slim
        Pine Apple Slim commented
        Editing a comment

        I realize its not the same company as CFM. The name has around the block for sure. Wasnt it some kind of Sigma that our ol buddy the Zagermeister was hawking as real CFMs?

        These seem to have the specs and looks of the old ones, which is whats interesting about em.

         


      • katopp
        katopp commented
        Editing a comment

        FretFiend. wrote:

        That Sigma logo is obviously intended to look like the Martin logo. Maybe just a hair on the legal side of lawsuit territory. Kind like the old "lawsuit" Takamines from the seventies.


        They changed the Logo. The new Logo looks fugly and takes away a lot of the charme of the Sigma brand.


    • #5
      If they are all lam b&s then forgettaboutit, not interested.

      Comment


      • katopp
        katopp commented
        Editing a comment

        Pineapple, I have a Sigma lam b/s and two Martins, a D35 and a D40. Not the worst guitars Martin ever made.

        The Sigma holds it's own against the Martins in any context other than recording with a sensitive mic. In a band context, in a session context and even in an acoustic duo the differences between the Sigma and the Martins are indescernible. Absolutely gigworthy and given the price definitively a steal. At least mine.
        I take it to my electric/acoustic gigs and it works and sounds at least as good as my friend's Martin D16RGTCE. But it was only a third of the Martin's pricetag.


    • #6
      I bought a 000m-15 yesterday and I couldn't be happier with it. Incredible tone and playability and looks stunning too. Ok it's never going to match up to martins for build quality etc but it played perfectly straight out of the box, I took it to my luthier to check it over who was dumbstruck by it as it was set up perfectly already. He is now looking at buying one himself!
      Excellent value for money and a great guitar too.

      Comment


      • knockwood
        knockwood commented
        Editing a comment

        The Utch wrote:
        I bought a 000m-15 yesterday and I couldn't be happier with it. Incredible tone and playability and looks stunning too. Ok it's never going to match up to martins for build quality etc but it played perfectly straight out of the box, I took it to my luthier to check it over who was dumbstruck by it as it was set up perfectly already. He is now looking at buying one himself!
        Excellent value for money and a great guitar too.

        Congrats! Where did you buy it?

        Pics? Clips?

    Working...
    X