Alvarez "Dove" Pickguard cracking

twally

• Members

Hi,

I have a 1972 Alvarez Model 5024. The thing is in very good shape, except for the pick guard which is cracking very badly. A friend of mine gave the thing to me, I definetly intend to keeep it and I'm looking for suggestions to salvage the pick guard. I haven't been able to locate a new pickguard. I am considering installing a clear pick guard over the thing just to keep the cracked pieces intact. Some of the pieces are loose. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

TW

• Members

Check with St Louis Music. They are the U.S. Alvarez/Yairi Distributor. Tom Kruska was very helpful and got me an original pickguard (with the A/Y logo) for my 1984 DY-90. Other than that, you can go to www.frets.com and they have a section about installing and cutting pickguards. You can buy the blank material (black, tortoise shell etc.) and the peel off adhesive pretty cheap at www.stewmac.com use your old one as a tempate. Good luck.:)

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I know this is a very old post, but I have the same guitar and it is every bit as good as a Gibson, IMO. I would use clear nail polish over the cracking lines and that should hold it. Except for a really old pickguard in an antique arch top I had that just disintegrated (even after using clean nail polish), this sould work, since it is bonded to the flat surface of the guitar. Also, injecting clear glue over and under the cracking lines should also work, but if you ever need to relace it, that's problematic.

You could also get in touch with ebay sellers that do custom pickguards and send them dimension, tell them that you want it in brown "tortoise shell" plastic, and remoive the old one and replace it. I might want a luthier to do that. You donlt want to hurt the spruce top on the guitar 

• Members

Freeman Keller wrote:

I just realized that I responded to a zombie thread so I delete my comment, but I can't figure out how to delete the whole response.

Why worry if it's a "zombie thread"...the information you share still may be of value today and/or the future, Freeman.

Archived