What Keeps You From Pulling The Trigger?

Opa John

• Members

I know a lot of you people already have some really nice guitars. I also know some of you would like to have something else to add to your stable. Not necessarily something that costs more than what you have now......just something different that you'd like to get. Maybe an expensive guitar, or maybe an el cheapo that caught your eye. 

So, just out of curiosity, tell us what it is you'd like to get and why you don't already have it.

- Is it a lack of funds? If so, what are you doing about it?

- Would your spouse give you flak for spending the money?

- Can't really make up your mind between two or three different guitars?

- Not really crazy about anything you've seen lately?

- You've got one in mind, but just haven't been able to find the right one?

- None of the above?

In my own case, I can think of a couple of other guitars I think I'd like to own, but in reality, the ones I have right now are as good as I've ever owned all at one time and I'm perfectly happy and GAS free at this particular point in time.

I've already put enough money away in a safe place to buy just about any guitar I'd ever want......I just can't find anything that really turns me on enough to spend it and I've checked out just about everything up to about the $3K range....which, for me would be the most I'd ever spend on a guitar. In fact, I'd have a hard time justifying more than about $2K. That's more my speed.

So......let's hear some stories.  

• Members

Historically, if I have the desire and the funds at the same time, the trigger gets pulled. My wife, fortunately, is very supportive of my guitar obsession. 

Currently I suffer from Anorexia Bankosa. What I'm doing about it is waiting. There may be more of that than there has been in the past, however. I've been kind of an idiot all my life when it comes to managing my own finances. I'm paying the price for that now, so GAS will definitely be approached differently in the future.

For now, I'm very lucky to have a couple o' pretty good guitars.

• Members

You might already know I'm waiting for the Sigma 000M-15s to be available in the US. It's been a couple of years since my last purchase and a new guitar always sparks my interest in playing more so hopefully in the next year. Have I mentioned I like a big fat neck, this one reads 1-3/4"  but the ones I've found on web sites over sea read 1-13/16" hopefully the later is the case.  

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=305

• Members

Basically, the quality of the guitars I have now is difficult to match or exceed without a lotto win. It's now at a point where GAS is stressful, so it's time to stand pat. The OM-21 was the last jewel to my collection. The only cheapie I have now is the RK ROS-16, which is my campfire guitar. I've tried a few of the better-known/respected Chinese imports, and found them lacking, so they were sold.

• Members

Only one guitar I really have any interest in spending any time with... the new model Martin D-18...

If I really wanted to, I could probably scrape the funds together and get one. I have other interests besides guitars tho, and then I wouldn't have money for ammo or reloading supplies.

• Members

Opa John wrote:

I know a lot of you people already have some really nice guitars. I also know some of you would like to have something
else
to add to your stable. Not necessarily something that costs more than what you have now......just something different that you'd like to get. Maybe an expensive guitar, or maybe an el cheapo that caught your eye. 

So, just out of curiosity, tell us what it is you'd like to get and why you don't already have it.

My current "lusting for" instrument is a really nice round-necked resonator...got a cheap one, and it's OK-sounding, but a couple of friends own much nicer models the eat this one's lunch, unplugged ('though it pretty good plugged-in)

- Is it a lack of funds? If so, what are you doing about it?

No, I just haven't decided what I want (kinda leaning towards that amazing-looking trioleum that Freeman made...that's truly drool-worthy!)

- Would your spouse give you flak for spending the money?

My wife is very cool about my instruments, probably due to the money they bring in...she's pretty practical like that! When one of my 12-strings got broken, shortly after we first got married, she went shopping with me, and while I was considering a relatively inexpensive instrument like an Ibanez, she pointed to a Taylor 655 on the wall and said "I;ve heard those are really nice...play that one for me". I did and she said "That's the one...it sounds a lot like that Gibson you had, and much better than the one you were playing. What's the difference in price?" I told her about $1200, and she thought for a minute and then said, "You earn about that every 3 weeks...get it."

I knew I'd married the right woman...

- Can't really make up your mind between two or three different guitars?

More like 10 or 12!

- Not really crazy about anything you've seen lately?

Crazy about 10 or 12 I've played lately, but haven't yet checked out Freeman's, which is, far and away, the best looking on my list. My wife, whose opinion I value, also think's having Freeman build me one is the way to go, and just keeping using my current one until I get a cchance to get out his way.

- You've got one in mind, but just haven't been able to find the right one?

- None of the above?

In my own case, I can think of a couple of other guitars I
think
I'd like to own, but in reality, the ones I have right now are as good as I've ever owned all at one time and I'm perfectly happy and GAS free at this particular point in time.

I've already put enough money away in a safe place to buy just about any guitar I'd ever want......I just can't find anything that really turns me on enough to spend it and I've checked out just about everything up to about the $3K range....which, for me would be the most I'd ever spend on a guitar. In fact, I'd have a hard time justifying more than about $2K. That's more my speed.

So......let's hear some stories.

Maybe a one-of-a-kind custom-built, then...if you don't need a lot of bling, there are quite a few luthiers that could be of interest. One guy here I can recommend (actually, there are at least 4 here who might be worth talking to).

• Members

FretFiend. wrote:

Only one guitar I really have any interest in spending any time with... the new model Martin D-18...

If I really wanted to, I could probably scrape the funds together and get one. I have other interests besides guitars tho, and then I wouldn't have money for ammo or reloading supplies.

I played a new D-18 a few weeks ago, one of the Vintage models, and it was really nice...and a friend's son is getting it as a graduation gift.

• Members

It would definitely have to be my wife's scorn. I've tried too joke about it, making the argument as to why it's okay for her to spend so much on clothing, purses, perfume, wine, luggage, etc. but if I drop more than $150 on anything other than groceries it's just not okay. That's fine since the guitars I already have are seen as being too distracting from my domestic duties (I'm a "Mister Mom") and my guitar building hobby is an "obsession" so why make life any more complicated? When I lament about wanting another guitar she usually says that since i'm not a professional musician so I don't need one.

EDIT: that being said, as you can see from my sig she does take care of me. She just likes to keep me humble.

• Members

I had my eye on some of the new cheapies from Gretsch.

This one is only $149, I need it like a hole in the head, got a shortage of space in the instrument room as is.

The Jim Dandy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6VK0BSSJOCSxXLfZR2Xy

Also the Gretsch resos have been getting pretty good reviews for the price. HAvnt played one but I like the looks of both of these

G9220 Bobtail. Round neck, spun cone, spider, Fishman Nashville pickup.

gretsch-g9220-bobtail-roundneck.jpg

G9201 Honeydipper.Bell brass, biscuit, no pickup tho

gretsch-g9201-honey-dipper-roundneck.jpg

The Jim Dandy, dont really need it, just think its cool. Christmas tho, I might get me a round neck reso.

• Members

I started with classical guitar. Recently, I got into acoustic/electric, electric guitar playing. I bought quite a few different acoustic/eletric, electric guitars, amps, effects because of their different looks and finish. They work nicely as decors. I never owned more than one classical guitar. My first classical guitar was destroyed in a fire so I had to get another. The second one has been with me for years, it's mellow enough. I'd feel that I betrayed my beloved classical guitar if I owned a second. So no pulling triggger on a credit card gun.

"Only until death do us part."

• Members

I started playing again in '85 afret a fifteen year layoff, I bought a guitar and started playing, it's still my main guitar. By th late '90's I was doing a fair amount of gigging and needed a guitar permenently equiped for playing 'live', I bought one in '99 and still play it.

Theres other bits and pieces but the two guitars above will see me out.

Archived