June VOM (Virtual Open Mike) post recordings here!!!

Michael Martin

• Members

Heya this is the place! Post recordings here, all weekend 'til midnight Sunday. Anything goes, everything welcome. Audio or audio/video. Any genres, any instrument(s), any level of refinement. Everything encouraged...share the music. Comments welcome/encouraged on posts. 

If you are so inclined please do note particulars about instruments used, recording method, recording devices, info about the song (whether original or cover)--because people sometimes want to know. Post lyrics too if appropriate (instrumentals w/o lyrics of course also welcome). 

Have at it! Will post my own bit shortly. Thanks in advance to all contributors and participants.

• Members

Here's my bit. I posted a demo of this song here about a month ago right after I wrote it. And then in May I had a chance to record it with bandmate Molly. We did this in an empty auditorium about 3 weeks ago. Here is the audio file, which sounds better than the youtube file posted below.

https://soundcloud.com/mdmartin/lingzi-tears-like-rain

The song memorializes Boston Marathon bombing victim Lu Lingzi. I did not know her, but I was moved to write this because I have a daughter about her age away at university, and we have quite a few Asian students in our program at the university where I teach and many of them are friends. There were four murder victims total in Boston, and many people maimed. Unfathomable.

The recording is Molly's vocal into one mike and my vocal/guitar into another. We used my Fostex VF80 8-track but I did not dub more tracks. I did process the audio a bit (EQ, a touch of compression) but this is basically as-was. The mikes are AT2020s. The guitar is my Martin 00CXAE, unplugged.

Never done a viddy before, but I happened to video this recording. You can watch Molly sing it here--completely unedited. Audio is from the Flip video cam's mike--totally unbalanced and janky but hey.

Lingzi (Tears Like Rain)

• Members

....swaying California Brown...this will be the opener for an upcoming 10 song project called glowface....m lowery produced at leprechaun studios in Weston Texas..contributing artists named on the link .... Anxious for some feedback...pre-mastered...still tweaking......looks like some good stuff on here in June...looking forward to listening-commenting.....the heat suck.go spurs....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=12343813&showPlayer=true

• Members

hypnotistcollector wrote:

....swaying California Brown...thus will be the opener for an upcoming 10 song project called glowface....m lowery produced at leprechaun studios in Weston Texas..contributing artists named on the link .... Anxious for some feedback...pre-mastered...still tweaking......looks like some good stuff on here in June...looking forward to listening-commenting.....the heat suck.go spurs....

Damn, man. That was huge! If that doesn't get 'em up and shakin' it, nothing will! I really like the production/arrangement. The only thing I'd like is for your vocal to stand out more consistently. There's a lot of instruments and vocals swirling around and sometimes it all swallows you up a little and I don't quite follow the lyrics. Nothing seems out of place though--I think it's just a matter of upping the ante on the lead vocal track. Also I'd like that roadhouse piano to get bigger in the mix, relative to the other instruments. I didn't notice the piano until the latter part of the song and it was the perfect thing to come in like that. Very rollicky.

• Members

mrmartin(ghosthost)...great sound you got in that auditorium.  clean and far away.  the soundcloud version was much better.  liked the way you came into the chorus on rain.  ya'll sound great together.  the yoga sitting judo queen molly delivered.  tremendous tribute to a senseless loss.  some are too angelic for this gutter world...

dig it.    

Archived