Washburns

Montagman

• Members

I've been generally impressed with the ones I've played in the entry to mid range. There are better choices at the high end. But at their price point I think they are underrated. I have two Washburns, one is a 1905 model 217 parlor, the other is a a DC80 Stephen Davies Extended Cutaway. Not your run-of-the-mill Washburns.

• Members

I recently bought a mini jumbo b stock on line, sweet guitar for the money.

It's acoutic electric, I have no experiance with electronics on acoustics, the

bass is out of control! Is this a common problem with acoustic electrics or just this particular model?

• Members

I have a 20yr old J50S (quite rare) with nice birds eye maple b/s and a cedar top. Lovely bright tone, but sadly not playable at the moment due to my ham fisted attempts at lowering the action. It's the first acoustic I ever owned and has served me well over the years. I need new frets, nut and saddle for it and it's a bit beaten up these days, but a really nice guitar all the same.

• Members

I've had 5 Washburns: An old D12CE that had beautiful mellow tone, but a bit of a belly; a D10 (no S), that was pretty to look at, had nice grovers, but sounded like a real POS; a D10S that was handsome, very glossy, and had great build and fantastic tone; a D10SCE that was a very decent guitar; and a D9C that had tone every bit as nice as the D10S. I would have to say I enjoy playing Washburns.

• Members

I owned 3 Washburn acoustics over the past few years: Cumberland jumbo, a WD56SW (solid wood dread) and a Washburn classical. They were all nice guitars but a bit on the heavy side.

Washburn was very popular here up until 2 years ago. I don't know why they dropped off the radar other than the fact that there is more competition now.

• Members

I've played an ancient George Washburn Brazilian parlor, that was really nice, but had old-age issues.

A friend has an 80's Japanese Washburn EIRW Jumbo that is also quite spectacular.

I've also played a lot of ho-hum Washburns

• Members

I had a D100 bang-around once. The intonation high on the neck wasn't so good, and the bass was a little dead. My current best band around (of which I have a D10, Yamaha F-325 and F-335) is my D10 (all laminate). I made a bone saddle and nut for it. Its intonation with an uncompensated saddle is great, it plays great, and sounds good. I paid $75 for it (including shipping) on eBay, and it's the one guitar I have that I'd have the hardest time parting with since it's such a keeper and I don't know how I'd replace it (it's also really friggin' green and my wife made a really friggin' green suade strap for it).

For cheap guitars I recommend F-325/F-335 because they seem to be so consistant. But if you get a good D10 they can be great.

Scott O

• Members

As you can tell from my user namer and sig, I'm a fan of Washburn guitars.....and they make a pretty decent mando too!

They're all (mine) very nice guitars (and mandos).......highly underrated and a great value for the money.

I'm thinking about picking up a D52SW or a D56SW as a to-me-from-me birthday present in a couple of months.

• Members

I was just looking on their webpage, this looks like a nice guitar, the back and sides are trembesi... I've never heard of it!

wsj124k.jpg

WSJ 124K

"Aged" finish

Spruce top

Trembesi back and sides

Mahogany V neck

Rosewood fingerboard

Rope purfling on the top edge.

Rosewood butterfly style bridge

Nut width: 44mm

List Price: $829.90

Case: GC142 Included

Color: Vintage

• Members

One of the best sounding gits I ever had was the Cumberland.It was my first acoustic.I got caught up in the lam vs solid thing and thought I could do better for the money so I returned it.Big mistake.I've since bought 2 other Cumberlands off ebay but neither sung like the first so I sold them.Like anything else it's best to be able to play the git before you buy if possible.

• Members

Almost two years ago we were visiting friends in Gettysburg, Pa. and when I had some free time I stopped in a pretty decent guitar store in town. They had a used Washburn D-47 Navajo, which I knew nothing about but sounded extremely nice and was fantastically easy to play. Immaculate condition. After some prevarication I went back and bought it on the way out of town. Turns out to be one of a series of special USA made guitars with all solid American woods in them, some built by Bourgeois and some like this one built by Tacoma. It

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Washburn was my first "real" acoustic, and I dig them for the most part. Hud's right though, there's a lot of competition. There's some price points where Washburn gives the best-sellers a run for their money, but there's others where I feel like Washburn just isn't the best overall. For instance the D10S is a great first guitar, but the old Cumberlands felt a bit overpriced. I don't think they make the Cumberlands anymore, or at least they call them something else. (FWIW there was a jumbo in the Cumberland series that I felt was an excellent value used.)

Archived