Here's something ON TOPIC!

rainrainwash3

• Members

So, I have this problem.  I hear great, magical songs in my head when I'm away from the guitar.  So I go to pick up the guitar to try and play it but I can't!  I either forget exactly how it goes or I end up playing something else.  Then I give up and it's lost!

This really pisses me off, and I need to do something about it.  Do you guys have any tips?

• Members

Sing it into a recording device before you get the guitar out, so you have a record of how it's supposed to go.  Although I've always felt that the journey from my head to my fingers was essential, as most of my "inspired" ideas are regurgitations of things I'm listening to, and approximating how to play it makes it mine.

• Members

rainrainwash3 wrote:

So, I have this problem.  I hear great, magical songs in my head when I'm away from the guitar.  So I go to pick up the guitar to try and play it but I can't!  I either forget exactly how it goes or I end up playing something else.  Then I give up and it's lost!

This really pisses me off, and I need to do something about it.  Do you guys have any tips?

I have a tiny digital "dictation recorder" that I carry everywhere...when I get a song idea, I immediately put it on my gadget, 'cause otherwise I'll usually forget whatever it was by the time I get home.

Archived