Let the July VOM (Virtual Open Mike) begin!

Michael Martin

• Members

Post herewith upon this thread all ye musical tidbits for sharing. All genres, all instruments, all levels of refinement. New stuff, old stuff. Audio or audio/video. Comments on each other's submissions most welcome. 

Please do note authorship of piece, and include info on recording method (instrument(s), recording gear, etc.) because sometimes people want to know. 

Thread stays open for submissions through Sunday midnight. Looking fwd to hearing from all y'all. I'll add my own recording later on this evening.

• Members

Song title: ????

https://soundcloud.com/mdmartin/lcf9bssaagfa

Written and recorded in May. I used my Martin 00CXAE unplugged for the rhythm and then played my Godin ACS-SA nylon fingerstyle through my Roland GR33 synth on three other tracks, each one with a different synth "voice". Also one vocal track. Rhythm guitar track and vocal through AT2020 mikes and synth tracks directly into the Fostex VF80 recorder. Some compression and EQ added ex post facto. [Edit: I forgot--a tambourine track also]

Lyrics

All the finest cowgirls see the world through Chinese eyes

Every one a moongate to the soul

Deadly true a hundred yards

But up too close so tender is the night

Thirty hour journey seems like nothing to me now

But every single second I was sideways in your eyes

Became a thousand years of history

Embedded in the surface of the stones

Run a hundred miles in the rain

Barefoot on the broken glass but I will feel no pain

Splash through every puddle 'long the way

All the world alive again today

Every time we walked outside the snow began to fall

Like heavenly confetti on the dark and soft parade

Marched across the ocean over walls/through panes of glass

Subdivide the gardens/gardens of the long black night

Oh won't you take me back again to the cabin on the lane

I'll take you to the pedestal/today I passed it by

I was too much in a hurry

It was covered up with apple blossoms

Fallen down like snowflakes from the heaven trees above

Run a hundred miles in the rain

Barefoot on the broken glass but I will feel no pain

Splash through every puddle 'long the way

All the world alive again today

• Members

...thx ghost host for your opening of vom...I must acknowledge right off that the finest cowgirls see the world through chinese eyes is a the best opening line I've Deen in awhile...cannot wait to listen...because you will experience a full dose if glowface tracks over the next several months, this month I'm submitting a minimalist recording of a recently written song..together to forever....the orgins of the song owe exclusively to the line...she needs some tissues for her issues which was overheard, noted, and stolen...I have since let the person know of their songwriting brilliance...they were thrilled with the recording...hope you like...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=12377265

• Members

..lyrical.chord chart...

she walks the fine line, she still my sweetie pie. days go, they're left by the road. she needs some tissues for her issues. dry the tears, nobody needs to know.

ain't it hard to hear, truth hurts my dear. some different love we knew long ago. meant what i said to you, not looking for something new. this life we made, this life we know.

and we made it right, together we took flight, we made to this very night. when i look at you, my dreams have all come true, your green eyes are full of light. we'll make it together to forever, we'll make it alright.

every night i sleep with you, never failed to keep me true. a woman in the way that you move. your glowing skin, keeps pulling me in. woman you finding your groove.

wanna yell wanna shout, honey i got no doubt. you're the one i'll never lose. don't ever think we're on the brink. sometimes i just get the blues.

• Members

Tu Ca Nun Chiagne (you who don't cry) https://soundcloud.com/dongiovannis/tu-ca-nun-chiagnethe-don

a one-hundred-year-old song of unrequited love from Naples, Italy. My band worked on this for a long time before we felt like we had something we wanted to play in public. This was recorded in our garage/rehearsal space. Some of the musicians came back and re-did their parts.

The acoustic guitar part isn't much. I'm just playing a straight rhythm pattern all the way through. There's some weird chords. I'm playing a Larrivee D-03 dreadnought I bought used--I dig the guitar. I used an AKG 214 mic on the lower bout, and a Rode condensor mic on the neck.

The vocalist is a country & western singer who knows Italian.

Thanks for listening--I love this music

• Members

Hypnotistcollector:

Good one hyp. There's a "yearning" or maybe wistfulness in that 7th chord that's perfect for the story and the mood. I don't know whether you play harmonica (I wish I could) but I could really hear a harp break (and even harp intro/outro) in this one. 

• Members

Dirt Chicken wrote:

Tu Ca Nun Chiagne (you who don't cry) 

Well now that was different. I like hearing songs sung in other languages because I can latch right on to the pure emotion, if the singer is expressive--and she really is. I know a bit of Italian but not enough to follow this. Kind of a tango pattern to the rhythm? That was cool. As far as arrangement goes, I especially enjoyed the way the strings were woven through. 

• Members

hypnotistcollector wrote:

...thx ghost host for your opening of vom...I must acknowledge right off that the finest cowgirls see the world through chinese eyes is a the best opening line I've Deen in awhile...cannot wait to listen...

Thanks hyp. Somebody out there might know I'm a Pete Townshend fanboy, and see that there's a slightly skewed reference to one of his solo album titles in there ("All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes"). I don't often quote others directly but I often borrow bits and pieces from songs and songwriters whom I admire, as a sort of tribute.

Archived