Lacquered vs no finish?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Conversation Detail Module
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacquered vs no finish?

Probably a silly noob question. Didn't do a hc search nor a google search first, like I usually do before I ask questions that've probably been asked before a couple times

Anyway,  here's what I've got:

-A little free time I want to spend on another little guitar project.

-A can of clear gloss nitro paint, with still about 3/4 of the can left.

-A mahogany 3/4 taylor, with little or no finish at all. 

I'm thinking it'll look nicer, and I know I don't mind the feel of the nitro. Just not sure if it'd make much difference in tone, let alone a in a good way. 

Anyone here ever did some sort of side by side test with two identical acoustics, one being clean and unfinished, and the other being lacquered?  Cheers!

Any time you put more stuff on the vibrating parts of an acoustic you run the risk of making them vibrate less.

• thom
      thom commented
      Editing a comment

So in short...A finish might hurt the resonance/character/volume somewhat?

I just figured it can't make THAT much of a difference, since most high end pricey acoustics have more than some minimalistic satin finish...Right?  

"A mahogany 3/4 taylor, with little or no finish at all."

Unless someone has stripped or sanded the finish off, it does have a finish. Probably a UV cured satin poly finish. If you just want some shine on it, lay the buffer and polishing compound to it.

Yes, the less finish the better for tone, but I would bet that few can notice the difference.

__________________________________________________ _________
    Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society.

• Neal
      Neal commented
      Editing a comment

A guitar has to have some finish.  A baby Taylor?  You may not need to worry about sound on that particular guitar, finish to your heart's content and experiment.  It's a frickin'  baby Taylor, not cause for fretting (hah, get it?)

I will echo FF's last comment above.  No, I'll let it speak for itself.

You can buff that satin finish to a pretty nice shine. Not the same as high gloss but its still a good look.