IT'S HERE!!........

Opa John

• Members

.........and, as promised, a couple of pictures. My Martin MMV arrived at about 11:15 this morning via UPS. I've checked every square mm on it and can't find a thing wrong. Absolutely spotless of any glue residue on the inside. It's got some pretty nice silking in the spruce top.......doesn't show up in the pics very well, but it's there and I like it. And........it smells nice, too! the best thing about it is.........IT'S MINE! ALL MINE!!

The action on is just a tad over 3mm on the low E and just a tad under 3mm on the high e, but I'm not gonna do a thing to it until it's fully acclimated to its new home. For now, it plays and sounds  just great to my old ears. Besides, I'm pretty sure it's got medium strings on it now and those will more than likely get changed to Martin PB lights in the very near future. I'm also gonna hold off on activating the warranty on it for a few days.

One thing I noticed, apparently Martin doesn't include a truss rod allen wrench anymore. That's OK since I've got a couple of those laying around. I'm just happy about it not getting banged up in shipping. All is well. I hope I live to enjoy this guitar for a loooooooong time!

MMV 1.JPGMMV 1.JPG

• Members

FretFiend. wrote:

COOL!
Smiley-2.png

Only one thing ya forgot to say. HOW DOES IT SOUND???
biggrin.gif

You must've missed it, FF. I mentioned that it "plays and sounds just great to my old ears". I just now got around to tuning it up to concert pitch. It arrived at about half a tone low.......and now it sounds even better. I can actually feel bass vibrations in my stomach when I hit some low notes.

• Members

kwakatak wrote:

Nice! Is the neck mahogany?

Yes......mahogany with a satin finish. Very smooth and very fast. For the money I don't think I could've gotten anything I like better......not in a Martin, anyway. Everything about it feels kinda tight right now, but I've had other (new) guitars that felt the same way when brand new.

I realize it's not an HD-28, but it's not priced like one, either. There's definitely nothing on the MMV that I'd call "cheaply" done.......even right down to the nice inlaid rosette. I believe Martin hit a "homer" with this model. For my purposes, playing around the house and occasional jam sessions, it'll serve me well. 

• Members

Opa John wrote:

. . . .  Besides, I'm pretty sure it's got medium strings on it now and those will more than likely get changed to Martin PB lights in the very near future. . . .

Very best congratulations, John. I hope you enjoy playing it for many years.

And yes, definitely lose those medium gauge strings - they do not belong on a dreadnought (if it was me I'd go down to 11s or even 10s).

• Members

This is the Guitar Center spruce model of the D-15? Naww I must be mistaken. Solid Rosewood back and sides? Looks great, hope you get it setup the way you want, and enjoy the heck out of it! New Martin Days are my favourite days!

• Members

Thanks, Mickey. I'll keep that in mind.

There was a time, back in the 70s and 80s when I was really getting into 35mm photography with all of the tripods, lenses, filters, lights and all, but those days are long gone. Just about the only camera I use anymore is a simple point & shoot Fuji digital. I got rid of all of my 35mm stuff, but I've still got a couple of pretty good German range finder 35s that are still good cameras. I don't think I've bought a roll of film since the last time I went to Europe back in '89.

I try to avoid even looking at the digital SLR gear that's out there. I'm afraid I'd get "hooked" all over again.

Archived