Martin D28 made in 1975

Lefeversgirl

• Members

Lefeversgirl wrote:

Can anyone tell me approximately what a Martin D28 with serial number 379059 would be worth it was made in 1975? Thanks 

Without knowing a whole lot more it is very difficult to say.   The "whole lot more" is a bunch of questions about the condition - particularly what is the neck angle like, does it have significant structural damage or playing wear, how is the bridge and intonation?    The '70's are generally regarded as Martins low years - the guitars were somewhat overbuilt to compensate for warrenty problems and they are not as desireable as some other years.   By 75 Martin was using EIR instead of braz which drives the price of the early ones way up.

If it hasn't had a neck reset it probably needs one - that will cost the new owner somewhere in the $350--400 range.  Fixing cracks, new frets other issues can run that up considerably.   75's don't have adjustable truss rods - if the relief is excessive it can be expensive to fix.   

Here is a good place to look for similar guitars in similar conditions - this is the Martin forum and there usually isn't any b.s. her

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/forums/23/Buy-and-Sell/Buy-and-Sell#.UfWzwBTn-1s

In addition, this is one of the best Martin mechanics, here are some things to look for in 70's guitars

http://www.bryankimsey.com/70s_D28/index.htm

http://www.bryankimsey.com/problems/index.htm

and what he charges to fix them

http://www.bryankimsey.com/music/rates.htm

And while I won't give you any estimates on yours, I happen to own a 74 D-18 which I bought some years ago for $600 and put 700 into fixing up, and a 80 D-12-28 which I paid 800 for and put 550 into.   Both guitars are now worth in the $2K range, maybe slightly less.

• Members

A pretty good rule of thumb is that all EIR Martin D-28's are all going to be in the $1100 - $1500 range. That is assuming no major issues.

You can also assume that a 40 year old guitar is likely gonna have some issues. Cracks, neck angle troubles, major fret wear, etc. are going to make it worth a bit less. Strange thing about these Martins. Even ones with serious problems rarely go much below a thousand. But it could take another thousand to make one with issues right.

Because of potential QC issues with CFM during those years, a '75 model would deserve very close scrutiny by someone knowledgeable.

• Members

Pretty much what everyone else has already said. IMO, a '75 Martin D-28 would probably cost as much as one, in much better shape, that's a whole lot newer.

If you're thinking about buying it......I wouldn't. If you're thinking about selling it..........good luck.

• Members

Thanks guys I appreciate the help! my papaw had the guitar he had several very nice very expensive ones. He left them all to me and I didn't know much about the D28's he used to play it a lot and it doesnt appear to have any bad fixes needed still plays good. I am planning on keeping it but just curious about the worth. :)

• Members

Lefeversgirl wrote:

Thanks guys I appreciate the help! my papaw had the guitar he had several very nice very expensive ones. He left them all to me and I didn't know much about the D28's he used to play it a lot and it doesnt appear to have any bad fixes needed still plays good. I am planning on keeping it but just curious about the worth.
:)

If he is still alive and was the original owner the guitar is under warranty to him (does not transfer to you, unfortunately).   A neck reset and any structural issues will be covered under warranty - "wear and tear" like frets and scratches is not.    I would suggest taking it to an authorized Martin repair person (any shop that sells Martins can direct you or you can call Martin's customer service number) and have it evaluated.

As others have said, 70's Martins do not have the collectability, or in fact the sound, that makes them command high prices, but yours has family history and sentimental value.    Get anything fixed that needs it, play and enjoy it.

Archived