Martin 000x1AE issue

imtheking

• Members

So I got this guitar as a Christmas present and it's played fine for the entire time I've had it, but about 3 months ago the bridge strap button came loose and and has been moving around. Now at first I saw this as nothing more than a nuisance but then I plugged it in and it seems that because it was loose over time it also disconnected the pickup. How could I ago about fixing this? My hands are big and can't really fit through the sound hole. Any help is greatly appreciated

• Members

imtheking wrote:

So I got this guitar as a Christmas present and it's played fine for the entire time I've had it, but about 3 months ago the bridge strap button came loose and and has been moving around. Now at first I saw this as nothing more than a nuisance but then I plugged it in and it seems that because it was loose over time it also disconnected the pickup. How could I ago about fixing this? My hands are big and can't really fit through the sound hole. Any help is greatly appreciated

Not may folks hands will fit comfortably in the belly of a Martin 000. Maybe you could have someone help you, but here's another option.

There's a couple of nuts that hold the endpin jack between the body of the guitar. If the inside nut has not moved that's even better.

Take off the decorative cover with a set of plyers. You might be able to do it with your fingers too. If you can not I will recommend a pair of Sears Robo Gribs. The Robo Grips have these plastic rubber covers that go over the gripper parts of the head and this will not tear up the decorative ring cover. There pretty handy for other jobs around the house too and worth the money I would say.

They look like this with the covers on

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00930016000

Once the decorative ring cover is off There's an outside nut to tighten the the pick up output jack to the body of the guitar. Hand tighten that nut the best  you can, but try not to spin the actually jack around inside the guitar while you are tightening it. You may break the wire off inside of the guitar. 

I say had tighten it so if you need to to you can hold the jack so it doesn't spin.

Now once you get it as tight as you can with your fingers, Take a socket and wrench and give it that last 1/2 turn or less and snug it up the endpin jack.

Put the decroative jack cover back on, and see how it looks. Try the guitar before make a final turn to snug it all up. This is where the Robo Gribs are handy again.

Even if it's not exactly flush and stick out a smig, it should all work and be all snug and should work unless it's short. My 00016 is pretty damn flush with the jack and my MC 28 is a lil less flush

Now the other option is if you have an authorized Martin repair center near you, just drop the guitar off and tehy should take care of it. Chris Martin IV really stands behnd his work an is good at making things right. My first good acoustic was a Martin and since then I have purchased 3 more.

• Members

If you are the original owner (and filed the paper work) the guitar should be covered under warranty - take to a shop with an authorized Martin repair tech and let them fix it.

It its no under warranty I would still get someone who is familiar with UST's to look at it - sounds like you might have some wiring issues.   And yes, there are some special tools for tightening the end pin jack

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Special_tools_for_Electronics,_pickups/Endpin_Jack_Wrench.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Special_tools_for_Electronics,_pickups/Jack_Installation_Tool.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Special_tools_for_Electronics,_pickups/Jack_The_Gripper.html

• Members

This happens all the time with K&K I installed in my Larrivee. It's normal.

Make sure the nut on the inside isn't coming loose either. If you don't tighten it too much of the jack will be sticking out making it easier for the outer nut to come loose again.

There should also be a pair of holes drilled into the threaded end of the jack. Use an Allen wrench to keep it from twisting while you tighten the nuts.

Archived