August V.O.M. (Virtual Open Mike)! Post right here all weekend!

Michael Martin

• Members

Post 'em right here if you gots 'em! Anything goes! Anything, everything musical. Audio or audio/video. Any genre, and instrument(s), any level of skill/refinement, covers or originals--it's all good. Comments on each others welcome. 

Also, please include info such as recording method, instrument(s) used etc. because sometimes people want to know.

PS Thread open for musical posts all weekend til Sunday midnight!

• Members

Here's mine. Just wrote this, while on Madeline Island last week (one of the Apostle Islands, off the coast of Wisconsin in Lake Superior a/k/a Gitcheegoomee, as Gordon Lightfoot fans know). Inspired by a family card game and also by the two people I most love singing with. Not entirely sure where the Constantinople part came from.

https://soundcloud.com/mdmartin/throwing-down-kings-v2

Recorded this afternoon. Six tracks: 1. Vocal, 2. Yammie 838CJS, 3. back of Yammie used as hand drum, 4. Yammie strummed with strings muted, 5. organ (Yamaha PSR 270 "rock organ" setting), 6. mando (Harmony A-style). Organ directly into Fostex VF80 8-track; all other tracks through AT2020 mikes into the Fostex.

THROWING DOWN KINGS

• Members

HC forumite and my friend, Anglelo Clematide, passed away on the Fourth of July, 2013. He was fifty-nine. We worked on a few projects together.

He had been re-recording a waltz I composed in the mid-1990's. He sent me this mix on July 2nd, two days before he died.

It must have been one of the very last projects he worked on. No acoustic guitar on this track. But there is an acoustic musette, a Bosendorfer grand and a glockenspiel. Angelo (Rudy Von Hagenwil) played all the parts.

He was the best arranger/orchestrator I ever worked with, and one of the best musicians.

• Members

"I Come And Stand At Every Door" Words by Nazim Hikmet Music traditional (The Great Silkie of Sule Skerry)

A few day ago it was the 68th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima. When it happened my father was a kid of 21 fighting in the jungles of Burma: on the odd occasion (which was not often) that he talked about it he said the bombing probably saved his life. I was born just under 4 years later.

Nazim Hikmet was a Turkish poet and dissident who spent most of his adult life in prison or exile. His poem "The Little Girl" was translated into English by Jeanette Turner and set to the melody of The Great Sikie of Sule Skerry by Pete Seeger in 1962. I first heard it sung by The Byrds on their masterpiece album"Fifth Dimension".

https://app.box.com/s/ilunspp8wmovwf1tzwgp

One take with Audacity and my computer mic. Played on my Recording King ROS-16

Archived