Bridge pins for acoustic guitar???

smokeynichol

• Members

Would changing my standard bridge pins make much of a difference in tone on my dred? i'm thinking what if any, difference would be noticeable on the following pins-graph tech, gold metal brass or rosewood abalone -whic would be more suitable? would any one particular bebring out a more distinguishable sound? I have a Tak. ef360sc and aan Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE.

• Members

smokeynichol wrote:

Would changing my standard bridge pins make much of a difference in tone on my dred? i'm thinking what if any, difference would be noticeable on the following pins-graph tech, gold metal brass or rosewood abalone -whic would be more suitable? would any one particular bebring out a more distinguishable sound? I have a Tak. ef360sc and aan Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE.

I'm not so sure it has as much to do about tone as it does allowing the string vibration to continue to resonate without allowing leaks through picks, saddles, nuts, and bridge pins.   In my opinion I prefer bone bridge pins.  By using bone pins, nuts, and saddles my guitar sounds like it has new strings for a longer period of time.  I've never tried bone picks.

• Members

smokeynichol wrote:

Smokey, this is one of the subject that is sure to invoke some, er, discussion.    Some folks think that pins make a difference, some don't.   I do agree that in order of effect, technique, strings, then maybe pick (if you use one), pins and maybe saddle material all have a impact on the sound of your guitars, with pins far behind the first couple.   Properly fitted pins and a properly slotted and ramped bridge can have more of an effect than the materials themselves.

That said, quite a few years ago I did some A/B/C comparisons of different bridge pins in a couple of different guitars.   The main one was the old D-18 that I had used for some other comparisons.   I made every effort to hold all the other variables the same - in particularl the same set of strings was used for all the tests.   I recorded it with no pins (it has a slotted bridge), and stock Martin plastic, bone, brass and ebony.   Some people swear by ivory of various types (fossils, freshly poached....) - I won't put anything made from ivory in any of my guitars.   The clips are linked here.    

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Acoustic-Guitars/Pin-Test/td-p/9042993

Make up your own mind, buy the correct size and fit for your guitars (there are two tapers and several different diameters).

(after you have listened to all of them I will tell you what I've ended up with in all of my guitars)

• Members

smokeynichol wrote:

I'm a victum of marketing in trying many of the things that have been mentioned but the hardness of bone over plastic I believe can make a tonal change.  Otherwise, why would some of the very respectable guitar makers use them and make those part of the guitar's added features?.  Strings most definately make a difference in tone.  If you've ever seen a producer's console it's a matter of fact.  The other tone changer is what you 're using to move the strings.  If you pick fingerstyle the part of the thumb/finger making contact on the string makes a difference especially in classical style playing.  If you use a pick the type of pick material which you choose also effects the tone.  I'm assuming we're leaving the human element out of this comparison.

• Members

It makes sense if you think about it in terms of changing the mass of the bridge. Going from plastic pins to something with a bit more mass like bone, or a lot more mass like metal, is going to change how the bridge vibrates.

None of them will be "better", but some of them will probably make an audible difference.

Archived