Your favorite and yet most difficult song to learn & how long did it take?

JoeJazz

• Members

My most favorite song to learn is the one I'm working on now.  The familiar name to all is "Misty" but I'm learning it note for note from a Joe Pass version on his CD Virtuoso #2.  I've been at it for about six months and just over 3/4's of the way.  When I learn it I'll be so proud to be able to play a song from the master himself. 

Please share.

• Members

Eruption - Van Halen

Judging by the amount of You Tube versions of this song that get it wrong, this song is very difficult to get right. The tapping part at the end is the least of your problems and is about the only part of this song that anyone ever gets right. There's a weird swing to some of it that so many ignore when they "master it". Many people anonymously will claim to be able to play Eruption no problem, but somehow they never materialize in real life or even on YT. Judge people only by their actions, not by their words. Eruption is nearly impossible and if you can actually play it 100% through to the letter, then count yourself among the elite 0.01% of people ever to pick up a guitar. 

• Members

I've been working for a few weeks on developing a single-guitar arrangement based on the dual-guitar arrangement of Gershwin's "Summertime", as done by Big Brother & the Holding Company on the live album "Cheap Thrills". I've loved that version of that song forever, never dreamed I could ever play it, but I'm getting there--very slowly. Fortunately I won't need to attempt the vocal because I have a bandmate for that :smileyhappy:

Archived