Yamaha Model FG-160 Acoustic Guitar.

yamahaheriam

• Members

Anyone out there that can help me discover this gem of a guitar? I have a 1973 Yamaha Acousitic FG-160 Guitar. I recently purchased this guitar and i would like to find out a bit more about it. I have been told it is a dreadnought from 1973. In terms of condition it bears some visual bumbs and bruises, however in overall condition this a remarkable piece of work. :). The label reads: FG-160 Republic of China - Taiwan. Other than the things i metioned, thats about all i know. Would like to find out if anybody has any information in terms a present day value on it, or any imformation to find out woods useds and other things about it.

Contact. trav_matt@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Yamahaheriam.

• Members

How does one distinguish between labels. i.e red, orange, black. I was told it was a black label. 1973 Yamaha Dreadnought Fg-160 Republic of China-Taiwan. Forgot to mention it has 20 frets, and i was told it hap spruce top with nato rosewood or something. How i could i find this stuff out. Also wanted to know a ball park figure on this gem.( To see if i got my moneys worth .:)

Thanks in Advance.

Yamahaheriam. :)

• Members

How does one distinguish between labels. i.e red, orange, black. I was told it was a black label. 1973 Yamaha Dreadnought Fg-160 Republic of China-Taiwan. Forgot to mention it has 20 frets, and i was told it hap spruce top with nato rosewood or something. How i could i find this stuff out. Also wanted to know a ball park figure on this gem.( To see if i got my moneys worth .:)

Thanks in Advance.

Yamahaheriam. :)

• Members

Originally posted by yamahaheriam

How does one distinguish between labels. i.e red, orange, black. I was told it was a black label. 1973 Yamaha Dreadnought Fg-160 Republic of China-Taiwan. Forgot to mention it has 20 frets, and i was told it hap spruce top with nato rosewood or something. How i could i find this stuff out. Also wanted to know a ball park figure on this gem.( To see if i got my moneys worth .
:)

Thanks in Advance.

Yamahaheriam.

A red label will be red in color....

The link I gave you has a lot of price references.....

• Members

Originally posted by yamahaheriam

How does one distinguish between labels. i.e red, orange, black. I was told it was a black label. 1973 Yamaha Dreadnought Fg-160 Republic of China-Taiwan. Forgot to mention it has 20 frets, and i was told it hap spruce top with nato rosewood or something. How i could i find this stuff out. Also wanted to know a ball park figure on this gem.( To see if i got my moneys worth .

Thanks in Advance.

Yamahaheriam.

You can tell the difference very simply. Look into the sound hole and you'll see the label.

I think you'll find yours is NOT a red label (usually more of an orangish color due to fading). Those were made in Japan, the one you have, being made in China, precludes that.

The top is spruce, probably laminated, the back and sides are Tigathis and the neck is Nato or Indian Rosewood. They were built from '73 until '78.

Unless yours is in really nice shape it's not worth much. If it's in pristine condition you might get somewhere between $150.00 and $200.00 with a decent case. Anyone paying more than that is nuts. If not, anywhere down to next to nothing, depending on the actual physical and playing condition. Check on eBay to get an idea of what some values are, then check your local pawn shop. Compare the two and pretty much split the difference for a fair value overall.

Lots of those early FGs were bears to play with very high action.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Friend you have a very very good guitar in the Yamaha FG160 . Get some good bone or TusQ saddle and nut on it and its like a Martin D18 . Most of the responses youve got are not well researched and sometimes pure incorrect . a simple example . they were made from 1972 and not 1973 . Thats just to show how hasty people answer . Guys do your research and dont speak half truths .   

Archived