Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some words or phrases that bother you?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some words or phrases that bother you?

Regardless of what it means, are there any words that irritate you just by how they sound?  To keep it music related, I secretly hate the word "gig".  Everytime someone says gig I picture Glenn Quagmire from Family Guy going "Giggity giggity giggity".  Can't you just say show, performance, or concert?  :catmad:

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-<br><br>Here's some cool songs I've been working on! Check em out!<br><br>https://soundcloud.com/aguy3422

Not music related but I cringe when I hear the word "laundrymat." It's "laundromat," people! Get a clue! There are others but I can't think of any right now.

Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

• Opa John
      Opa John commented
      Editing a comment

DeepEnd wrote:

Not music related but I cringe when I hear the word "laundrymat." It's "laundromat," people! Get a clue! There are others but I can't think of any right now.

I can think of a boatload of them, DeepEnd. How about.......

Ekcetera or Ect. (et cetera or etc.)

heighth (height)

spaded (spayed)

jewlery (jewelry)

calvary (cavalry)

flounder (founder)

presperation (perspiration)

pronounciation (pronunciation)

mischievious (mischievous)

realator (realtor)

supposably (supposedly)

acrossed (across)

bob wire (barbed wire)

athelete (athlete)

card shark (cardsharp)

electorial (electoral)

libary (library)

visa versa (vice versa)

nucular (nuclear)

And when to properly use "their, there and they're".

I'm sure there are hundreds more........too numerous to mention. I'm far from a linguist or perfect speller, but at least I know when I'm not sure of a word. That's why I keep a dictionary handy here at my desk.

Class dismissed!

• fatback
      fatback commented
      Editing a comment

DeepEnd wrote:

Launderette if you please  (if you will )

Phil

Music related?  After playing music soft and low, a glass of wine...the phrase "not tonite dear".

<div class="signaturecontainer"><br><br><br>1979 Gibson MK 35;<br>1981 Ibanez M330,- for sale<br>1981 Ibanez M340 (2) - one for sale<br>Guild F-40<br>Guild D-55<br>Martin Custom 00 15s<br>Martin 000-15s<br>Ovation Collector Edition 1985<br></div>

Comment

"OMG - that's a shark!!!!"

Comment

"I'm almost completely certain" is one that's always left me scratching my head.

Comment

• bluzboy
          bluzboy commented
          Editing a comment

"Proactive" never fails to make me cringe.

The word "moist". It bothers my daughter even more than it bothers me, so of course I say it once in a while just to make her cringe. :womantongue:

For the list of mispronounced words: "nuptuals" vs. "nuptials"

In the understory
        I can't see the forest
        For the branches and the leaves
        But I believe
        I do believe
        by me:

www.box.com

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn."
        Charlie Parker

Comment

"Pretty certain" is another meaningless saying that grates me a bit. You mean you're absolutely sure except that you aren't?

Comment

• DeepEnd
            DeepEnd commented
            Editing a comment

My previous reply about "mastic tape" for masking tape reminded me of another: "duck tape" instead of "duct tape."

my bad

besties

<div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="mailto:tlbonehead@yahoo.com">tlbonehead@yaho o.com</a><br />
          <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy</a><br />
          -For Sale: <br />
          -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US<br />
          -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.<br />
          - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping<br />
          - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds &amp; looks good. $250 + shipping. <b>SOLD</b><br />
          - Crate Palomino V8 - 10&quot; Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)</div>

Comment

• larry50
            larry50 commented
            Editing a comment

"Trending"

Thinking "outside the box"

"My bad"

"Man Cave"

Here's a famous one that smelling a little fishy now.

"

Educating, entertaining, and empowering the World's largest online community of musicians.

- Team Harmony Central's Mission

"

Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society, Martin snob, vitriolic sociopath, and tantrumist

Comment

"Don't look now, but..." -- you know you're going to look.

"Holy ****!'' -- where's the biblical reference?

"Don't make me come over there" -- if I could do that, couldn't I make you stay away?

"Back in the day" -- what day would that be exactly, Wednesday, Thursday?

"Butter me up and call me a biscuit" -- I'd rather sucker punch you and call you a cab.

"We're going to examine our game plan and make a few adjustments"  -- There ain't enough thread left on the scew to fix what ever you broke.

<div class="signaturecontainer">Must...buy...guitars. Will strong....body weak!</div><br><br><div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Take your wands out, both of you.&quot; -- Hermione Granger</div>

Comment

"To make a long story short."

I always pronounce the phrase incorrectly, "To make a long shory stort." It's humiliating.

Hello, I am KuJoZilla, and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Merry Melodies

Comment

I hate the saying "I was actually born a man" in certain contexts...

Comment

Working...
                X