Rules

Neal

• Members

Rules for playing with others.  Please feel free to add your own, I'm interested.

1. When someone brings a new song, do not play along.  Listen, discuss, then play along.

2. When there's a break, and someone is talking, don't noodle with your instrument.  Listen

3. When the session is almost started, and someone else has their instrument out before you, and starts playing a riff or a progression, or even a song, DO NOT get out your guitar and play something else.  Try to blend with the original fellow.

4. Your turn.

I have had all these things happen on more than one ocassion, and I'm getting to the point that I hate playing with others.  Really hate it.  Everyone seems to do these things mentioned above, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. 

• Members

GW348 wrote:

5) When participating in a jam or musical get together... Always bring quality craft beers to share.

(just thrown that out there in case we get together oneday)
:)

That, my friend, is not a problem.  However, it's not a "rule", it's just basic good manners, eh?

But let's put it at #5 anyway, just because it's so damn good.

• Members

koiwoi wrote:

My rule is to only play when your part of the song requires you to play. A lot of people try too hard to make sure they're contributing and end up filling the song up with mush, instead of a syncopated breathing arrangement.

1. When someone brings a new song, do not play along.  Listen, discuss, then play along.

2. When there's a break, and someone is talking, don't noodle with your instrument.  Listen

3. When the session is almost started, and someone else has their instrument out before you, and starts playing a riff or a progression, or even a song, DO NOT get out your guitar and play something else.  Try to blend with the original fellow.

4. Bring good beer

5. (Rainwash rule here)still not sure how to phrase this one RR.

6. Don't step on others during play.  Be mindful of your part.

Kowoi, that about say it?

• Members

I must admit that I'm worfully inadequate on such matters of etiquette. All I know is that it's poor etiquette to practice regularly with others in earshot - ESPECIALLY if those others are not musically inclined. That's a mistake I've made over the past 13 years of marriage and it's essentially hurt my technical abilities and social opportunities as a musician.

• Members

kwakatak wrote:

I must admit that I'm worfully inadequate on such matters of etiquette. All I know is that it's poor etiquette to practice regularly with others in earshot - ESPECIALLY if those others are not musically inclined. That's a mistake I've made over the past 13 years of marriage and it's essentially hurt my technical abilities and social opportunities as a musician.

4. Bring good beer

5. (Rainwash rule here)still not sure how to phrase this one RR.

6. Don't step on others during play.  Be mindful of your part.

7. Something new must be played on a weekly basis.  Communication regarding songs played to death must not be ignored.

8. Banjo players must sit at least 20' away from the group if they cannot control their volume.

9. Jams should not last until it's time for a shave.  A rule should be decided by the group regarding time restraints

10. Don't be that one guy that hauls out his guitar at every social get together.  Honest, no one wants to hear those same 3 '80s songs or that one progression you THINK you're pretty good at. 

Last rule bent a little from your post Kwak.  But I want you to know that I believe I know exactly what you're talking about.  Me too.

Archived