Not all guitar giants liked to practice

JoeJazz

• Members

Joe Pass, the greatest jazz player in the universe....and even beyond that, hated to practice,  He believed that if players practiced enough during their youth that practice shouldn't be necessary.  Note:  Don't confuse this with learning new material.  His father made him practice eight hours a day.  Joe tried the patience of many band mates, managers, and promoters, by not spending hours practicing before a concert.  It was customary during his reign for jazz players to stay at the homes of friends and concert organizers.  Joe would love to spend Saturday mornings with the children of his 'home away from home' watching cartoons and children's shows.  It's said that Joe laughed as loud or louder than the kids.  He didn't have much of an opportunity to be a kid when he grew up so he spent as much off stage time making up for it.

Joe once went to Brazil for a much needed vacation for 30 days.  During the 30 days he didn't touch his guitar.  His first meeting back with his guitar was at a Saturday night concert.  His warm up was the sound check.

Pick Tip-

I found the following phrase about using large triangle picks in an old guitar forum and thought it was worth sharing.   "I tried using those big triangular things, but I had to fight off the urge to dip it in guacamole."

• Members

I was lucky enough to attend a Joe Pass lecture/concert of his for a small group. It was in Rockford Illinois sometime in the late 70's early 80's.....I was particularly impressed with his willlingness to answer all questions and to play flawlessly for hours, while describing his methods and "tricks" on the guitar....the man was amazing.....in fact, I believe he was one of those born "gifted" people that broke all the rules of learning and practicing. Certainly he was the exception to the rule....a real loss when he passed.

Oh, the lesson went well....he showed everyone so many styles and methods, none of them really stuck....total overload for me.....but it was worth every minute.

• Members

C70

Wow!  I never had the pleasure of seeing Joe Pass.  Everyone that I've talked that saw him in person says the same things as you did about him.  He certainly seems like a very nice, down to earth, no ego kind of guy in his DVD's.  I really wish I'd had had the opportunity to see him.  Sadly, I moved into an interest in Jazz right after his death. 

If I were your neighbor I'd ask you a hundred questions about that show.  What great memories you'll always have of that concert.

Take Care and feel fortunate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived