Gibson J-30...good guitar?

Rock Martyr

• Members

Hi all,

I'm interested in a Gibson J-30...Sunburst. They're hard to find it seems. What years were these made?

Considered a good guitar?

From what I understand it's a hummingbird with a different paint job.

How much do they usually go for/valued at?

Cheers.

• Members

I know that J-30's were originally made in the 1930's but don't know how long Gibson made them. My impression is into the early 1940's but I'm not sure. I can look it up tonight and let you know. I'm also pretty sure Gibson later reissued this gutar, but not sure when, again I'll look it up.

Sorry, I know that's not much information, but I just didn't want you to feel ignored. :o

I do know that the original 1930's J-30's are considered among Gibson's best guitars and are in demand by players and collectors. If you've found one of those in decent conditon, it can have some serious value. How much is open to question, they don't come up too often.

Come to think of it, if you've found a seller with what he says is an original one and not a reissue, I think you should let me take a look at it first before you buy, just to make sure it's the real thing, ya know? Just watchin out for ya dude. ;)

By the way, J-30's predate Hummingbird's by about 30 years.

• Members

Originally posted by Rock Martyr

Thanks for the reply...

From the research I did they were made from 1985 to 1994. I don't know if they were considered RIs or not...

At any rate, I'm jonesing for one. It's a square shoulder acoustic...and is pretty much bare bones.

I've loved them for a while. I was able to play a used one in a Guitar Center a couple years ago, and I really liked it. They are pretty hard to find though

• Members

I wonder why they discontinued them?

Gibson has the J-45 slope shoulder acoustic, but nothing bare bones and not dolled up and square shouldered.

I think if they made them again they would make a mint. Especially selling them to the younger singer/songwriters who can't afford most of their line.

• Members

The J-30 was a square shouldered dreadnought produced from 1985 - 1998. Spruce top, mahogany back and sides. Blackface peghead with pearl banner/logo inlay. Available in antique walnut or vintage sunburst. A cutaway version was also available with a pickup/preamp system.

Price it by how it sounds and what you want. May go up in value due to short prduction run compared to other Gibsons

Hope this helps

• Members

Originally posted by Rock Martyr

I wonder why they discontinued them?

Gibson has the J-45 slope shoulder acoustic, but nothing bare bones and not dolled up and square shouldered.

I think if they made them again they would make a mint. Especially selling them to the younger singer/songwriters who can't afford most of their line.

they make the songwriter and songwriter deluxe

• 7 years later...

Archived