Is there such a thing as a rosewood D1GT or are there very dark varieties of sapelle?

DeepEnd

• Members

Earlier this week I had to take my car to the dealership and there was a Guitar Center on the way home. I looked at a few guitars (Bedell, Breedlove, Taylor 320) but one that impressed me was a Martin D1GT. I generally don't care for low-end Martins but I'd make an exception for this one. Gloss top, as advertised, and Martin style satin back and sides, meaning about as dull as a brick. Anyway, the back and sides were very dark and I thought it was rosewood until I checked the specs. It was apparently the darkest sapelle I've ever seen.

• Members

Sounds like a typo. Was the neck that stratabond material or a single piece of wood? Was there white body binding? If the answer to both questions is yes then it was a D-16RGT with solid rosewood back and sides (as opposed to laminate sapele) & a single piece Spanish cedar neck.

• Members

Probably a stain then. Martin's not known for keeping their woods au naturale. I have a mahogany D-16GT and they stained it red whereas the natural color is actually a honey brown. I can't argue that I love the tone but their aesthetics could use some updating.

Archived