"Phony" Yamaha FG-340

babablowfish

• Members

On eBay right now there is a Yamaha FG-340 for sale. I have raved about how great these old all-laminate guitars are. Well, for reasons I cannot fathom Yamaha apparently re-issued the model number and slapped it on a guitar which has no similarities to the original except for the fact that it is all-laminate. The original has a 3 piece back; full binding of the body, neck and headstock; the name "Yamaha" on the headstock and unbelievable tone. I don't know how the re-issue sounds, but I doubt it equals the original. Thought folks should know and beware. Here is the link to the re-issue:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250084851698

Here is a link to the original:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300079936019&rd=1&rd=1

It would break my heart if one of you guys read my effusive praise for the FG-340 and then bought the re-issue thinking that was the guitar I gushed over.

Caveat Emptor!

• Members

I was born in Buffalo (back when the earth was cooling). Williamsville, to be specific. I can remember the snow piling up towering over my head. Of course, I wasn't so tall in those days, but hey, it was deep. Being here on the other side of the same lake and west of the prevailing winds that bring the lake effect snows, we don't get snow like that in SE Michigan.

• Members

Yeah I saw that too. I like to look at the yammies on ebay, but have yet to pull the trigger on one because most people have a no return policy and that scares me. You seem to like your 340. Is it one of your favorites? Ever had any problems with it?

I had read the reviews on HC and decided I just had to have one. But I kept getting outbid. Then I found one that was in need of a lot of work and I got it for about $200.00. I had 8 new frets put in, had a bone nut and saddle put in and installed the John Pierce KingPins brass bridge pins. I also had to work on the truss rod with penetrating oil as it was stuck. Finally I went to work on the finish which was really rough. Now she looks great and sounds fantastic. I also have an FG365S which is also a very highly regarded old Yamaha (my luthier who is a Bluegrass musician really loves its tone and sustain and says it is perfect for bluegrass) which has a solid top. I prefer the FG-340. When I went looking for a guitar with built in electronics - (I settled on my Washburn - this was before I had learned about installing a K&K as I wound up doing on my Parkwood) - I decided to get rid of one of my guitars to trade in for the Washburn. I chose to trade in the Guild D4 I had and keep the Yamaha, if that tells you anything.

Of the guitars I currently own, yes the FG-340 is my favorite. And so far, it has been problem-free. Not bad for a guitar which is 30 years old. Also, it is the one guitar I can just leave on the guitar stand without worry as it is all-laminate.

OK, even I am tired of hearing me rave about it. :blah:

• Members

Thanks for the heads up Baba. I actually saw that on ebay, but something didn't look right. Or maybe it was the made in Taiwan statement. Does yours say Made in Japan?

The FG-340 I am familiar with was made in Taiwan. I believe that there was an earlier version which was made in Japan and did not have the 3 piece back, but the one currently on eBay ain't it by a mile. There were 2 versions of the 3 piece back FG-340. The FG-340 has the truss rod adjustment port on the headstock and the FG-340II has the truss rod adjuster accessible through the sound hole. Both were made in Taiwan and both get rave reviews. The FG-340II also has some variety in the back with some having a lighter center piece than others.

• Members

I I chose to trade in the Guild D4 I had and keep the Yamaha, if that tells you anything.

Of the guitars I currently own, yes the FG-340 is my favorite. And so far, it has been problem-free. Not bad for a guitar which is 30 years old. Also, it is the one guitar I can just leave on the guitar stand without worry as it is all-laminate.

OK, even I am tired of hearing me rave about it.
:blah:

:snax: Baba's, post your pics of your beautiful Yams again please -- some may have missed the previous posting. I'm sorry you didn't do a before/after pics of the FG-340. I'm sorry I didn't do the same of my FG-150.

Trina

• Members

:snax:
Baba's, post your pics of your beautiful Yams again please --
some may have missed the previous posting
. I'm sorry you didn't do a before/after pics of the FG-340. I'm sorry I didn't do the same of my FG-150.

Trina

Gladly. First the FG-340

IM000117.jpg' alt='>'>

IM000141.jpg' alt='>'>

IM000157.jpg' alt='>'>

Next the FG-365S:

IM000170.jpg' alt='>'>

IM000171.jpg' alt='>'>

IM000172.jpg' alt='>'>

Here's one of the two from the back:

IM000174.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

Hi,

here is a foto of the Yamaha FG-340, the Martin D-18VS and the 12-string Martin Shenandoah D12-2832. The Shenandoah is from the early 90s. Those guitars had been built in components in Japan ,then imported , assembled and handfinished in Nazareth, Pennsylvania. Martin put them on the market as a lower priced series with solid top and laminated back + sides.The price of mine was new $1,130. They were copies of the more expensive "real" Martin guitars. The action of mine is excellent, sound very rich, even in the lower tone range. I

• Members

Hey Viento, nice to have you on the forum. Nice guitars! Try some brass pins in the Yamaha - I found they really improve the tone.

Hey Trina and Viento, if you do go with Brass pins (now that Freeman has proven their effectiveness,) I recommend the John Pierce KingPins. You can get them from Elderly (I don't know where you'd get them in Germany or Spain) They are made of bell brass and look great. That's hat I have in my FG-340 and my Washburn.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/JPKPBP.htm

JPKPBP.jpg

• Members

Since you are being so accomodating, post some sound clips? Would love to hear one of those bad boys.

Sadly, that is something I have yet to figure out how to do. I only recently got over the hurdle of learning how to use a digital camera and post pictures. Being a technophobe I don't gain new skills in this area quickly.

When I figure out how to do it/get over my basic fear of technology I will give it a shot.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

I have a beautiful FG-340 here in Ireland. However, someone removed the cover of the truss rod adjuster on the head of the guitar.  Can someone help me to find a replacement cover, along with the necessary screws?  I haven't been able to find one in Ireland - so far!   Thanks.

• Members

Dhia Dhuit!

Talk to Yamaha directly. If they don't have it, you're possibly out of luck.

And from where onnthis lovely island do you post? I myself am Corkoian.

Oh, and anither thing: you have awoken the dead. This is a Zombie from 2007. It was dead and buried since then, but you woke it up.

It's better to start a new tthread rather than reawakening the dead.

Welcome to our zoo, btw....

• Members

eanna wrote:

I have a beautiful FG-340 here in Ireland. However, someone removed the cover of the truss rod adjuster on the head of the guitar.  Can someone help me to find a replacement cover, along with the necessary screws?  I haven't been able to find one in Ireland - so far!   Thanks.

I'll check around, but you also might watch Ebay...one'll likely turn up.

Archived