X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Phony" Yamaha FG-340

On eBay right now there is a Yamaha FG-340 for sale. I have raved about how great these old all-laminate guitars are. Well, for reasons I cannot fathom Yamaha apparently re-issued the model number and slapped it on a guitar which has no similarities to the original except for the fact that it is all-laminate. The original has a 3 piece back; full binding of the body, neck and headstock; the name "Yamaha" on the headstock and unbelievable tone. I don't know how the re-issue sounds, but I doubt it equals the original. Thought folks should know and beware. Here is the link to the re-issue:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250084851698

Here is a link to the original:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AME WA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300079936019&rd=1&rd=1

It would break my heart if one of you guys read my effusive praise for the FG-340 and then bought the re-issue thinking that was the guitar I gushed over.

Caveat Emptor!
    Originally Posted by Samilyn

Can't put a price on the love one has for an instrument, the mojo it gains from being played by you or good friends, or the good feelings it produces when you pick it up and it feels like an old friend, no matter what the the numbers on the price tag.

Listen to my CD on iTunes: The Girl With A Pearl Earring by Steve Z

One of my songs done by a friend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJQQGTtRqy0

that's "faux" Yamaha, Se

Comment

that's "faux" Yamaha, Se

Can't put a price on the love one has for an instrument, the mojo it gains from being played by you or good friends, or the good feelings it produces when you pick it up and it feels like an old friend, no matter what the the numbers on the price tag.

Comment

I was born in Buffalo (back when the earth was cooling). Williamsville, to be specific. I can remember the snow piling up towering over my head. Of course, I wasn't so tall in those days, but hey, it was deep. Being here on the other side of the same lake and west of the prevailing winds that bring the lake effect snows, we don't get snow like that in SE Michigan.

Comment

Yeah I saw that too. I like to look at the yammies on ebay, but have yet to pull the trigger on one because most people have a no return policy and that scares me. You seem to like your 340. Is it one of your favorites? Ever had any problems with it?

Comment

Yeah I saw that too. I like to look at the yammies on ebay, but have yet to pull the trigger on one because most people have a no return policy and that scares me. You seem to like your 340. Is it one of your favorites? Ever had any problems with it?

I had read the reviews on HC and decided I just had to have one. But I kept getting outbid. Then I found one that was in need of a lot of work and I got it for about $200.00. I had 8 new frets put in, had a bone nut and saddle put in and installed the John Pierce KingPins brass bridge pins. I also had to work on the truss rod with penetrating oil as it was stuck. Finally I went to work on the finish which was really rough. Now she looks great and sounds fantastic. I also have an FG365S which is also a very highly regarded old Yamaha (my luthier who is a Bluegrass musician really loves its tone and sustain and says it is perfect for bluegrass) which has a solid top. I prefer the FG-340. When I went looking for a guitar with built in electronics - (I settled on my Washburn - this was before I had learned about installing a K&K as I wound up doing on my Parkwood) - I decided to get rid of one of my guitars to trade in for the Washburn. I chose to trade in the Guild D4 I had and keep the Yamaha, if that tells you anything.
            Of the guitars I currently own, yes the FG-340 is my favorite. And so far, it has been problem-free. Not bad for a guitar which is 30 years old. Also, it is the one guitar I can just leave on the guitar stand without worry as it is all-laminate.

OK, even I am tired of hearing me rave about it.

Comment

Well that blows a hole into the old book of reasoning that says a lam doesn't get better with age.
              Tupac Shakur: "Wars come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal." or one might look at it this way: Eph 6:11 So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way.

Comment

Hi,everybody,

I

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Baba. I actually saw that on ebay, but something didn't look right. Or maybe it was the made in Taiwan statement. Does yours say Made in Japan?
                  1979 Gibson MK 35;1981 Ibanez M330,- for sale1981 Ibanez M340 (2) - one for saleGuild F-40Guild D-55Martin Custom 00 15sMartin 000-15sOvation Collector Edition 1985

Comment

Yeah I saw that too. I like to look at the yammies on ebay, but have yet to pull the trigger on one because most people have a no return policy and that scares me.

Me too.

Trina
                    Trina

Westerly Guild Guitars - Website
                    http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/index.htm

outdoorgb
                    My goal was/is to be "Campfire Good".

Stackabones
                    What's "campfire good"? I've been around some campfires where the players were pretty good.

outdoorgb
                    So if that is "campfire good"...and that is my goal...Then I guess I'll stick to "candle good" until I improve...

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Baba. I actually saw that on ebay, but something didn't look right. Or maybe it was the made in Taiwan statement. Does yours say Made in Japan?

The FG-340 I am familiar with was made in Taiwan. I believe that there was an earlier version which was made in Japan and did not have the 3 piece back, but the one currently on eBay ain't it by a mile. There were 2 versions of the 3 piece back FG-340. The FG-340 has the truss rod adjustment port on the headstock and the FG-340II has the truss rod adjuster accessible through the sound hole. Both were made in Taiwan and both get rave reviews. The FG-340II also has some variety in the back with some having a lighter center piece than others.

Comment

I I chose to trade in the Guild D4 I had and keep the Yamaha, if that tells you anything.
                        Of the guitars I currently own, yes the FG-340 is my favorite. And so far, it has been problem-free. Not bad for a guitar which is 30 years old. Also, it is the one guitar I can just leave on the guitar stand without worry as it is all-laminate.

OK, even I am tired of hearing me rave about it.

Baba's, post your pics of your beautiful Yams again please -- some may have missed the previous posting. I'm sorry you didn't do a before/after pics of the FG-340. I'm sorry I didn't do the same of my FG-150.

Trina
                        Trina

outdoorgb

Stackabones
                        What's "campfire good"? I've been around some campfires where the players were pretty good.

outdoorgb
                        So if that is "campfire good"...and that is my goal...Then I guess I'll stick to "candle good" until I improve...

Comment

Baba's, post your pics of your beautiful Yams again please -- some may have missed the previous posting. I'm sorry you didn't do a before/after pics of the FG-340. I'm sorry I didn't do the same of my FG-150.

Trina

Gladly. First the FG-340

Next the FG-365S:

Here's one of the two from the back:

Comment

Thanks Baba's! What lovely guitars I'm going to get me some of those brass pins too ......
                            Trina
                            Trina

outdoorgb

Stackabones

outdoorgb

Comment

Hi,everybody,

I
                              Trina

outdoorgb

Stackabones

outdoorgb

Comment

Working...
                                X