Is playing music an escape for you?

rainrainwash3

• Members

It can definitely help to escape from problems when you are completely immersed in the music you are playing.  If you are really focused on what you're playing then you're not thinking.  Your emotions will often come out in your playing too which I find will release energy if I have too much or build it if I am lacking.  Nothing knew here I know.

• Members

Yes.  I sort of go into a trance when I'm playing.  I can hear and comprehend what others are saying to me, but I can't respond.  This has been a contributing factor to the demise of my first two marriages.  My current wife claims to enjoy my mindless noodling, and thinks I'm a really good player.  Please don't tell her otherwise.

• Members

stormin1155 wrote:

Yes.  I sort of go into a trance when I'm playing.  I can hear and comprehend what others are saying to me, but I can't respond.  This has been a contributing factor to the demise of my first two marriages.  My current wife claims to enjoy my mindless noodling, and thinks I'm a really good player.  Please don't tell her otherwise.

My lips are sealed.

• Members
I was playing an outdoor gig in Raleigh at sundown last night, cruising through some tunes, heading to my mega-solo, all of a sudden I see a HUGE bird looking thing fly across the audience, maybe 20-25 feet in front of the stage and about 7 or 8 feet off the ground. When I say it flew over, I mean it darted... Like a bird of prey. The first thing that caught my immediate attention was the fact it had an enormous pointed beak, with a pointed top of its head. My eyes followed the body down and I noted that the wingspan was probably about 5-6 feet wide. Kind of bony wing structure ending in points (almost like sails) with what looked like small claws in the middle. Bat-like in a way. Couldn

• Members

Riding a motorcycle is more of an escape for me.  Mentally and physically.  But music is more often the itch I can't scratch.  When I am doing other things, I am thinking about it.  I am going over some tunes I play and thinking about how to slightly tweak them to make them better.  I totally enjoy when I near my goal, but I don't seem to reach it.  Much of the time, having done it is much better than the doing it part. 

I record alot of small gigs and rehearsals and listen to the results.  I try to hack away all the bad parts until i am left with something smooth and shiny.  I don't like listening to other people's music that is smooth and shiny, but for some reason that is what I am striving for.

• Members

PerfectTommy wrote:

I was playing an outdoor gig in Raleigh at sundown last night, cruising through some tunes, heading to my mega-solo, all of a sudden I see a HUGE bird looking thing fly across the audience, maybe 20-25 feet in front of the stage and about 7 or 8 feet off the ground. When I say it flew over, I mean it darted... Like a bird of prey. The first thing that caught my immediate attention was the fact it had an enormous pointed beak, with a pointed top of its head. My eyes followed the body down and I noted that the wingspan was probably about 5-6 feet wide. Kind of bony wing structure ending in points (almost like sails) with what looked like small claws in the middle. Bat-like in a way. Couldn

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes, playing music is definitely an escape for me. Almost everyday I play my guitar because it is very relaxing and I can get my feelings out through the music. It clears my mind and helps me to let go of the everyday stress. I honestly don't know what I would do without my guitar. The feeling I get when playing my guitar is amazing. It is truly my passion and it helps me to get through the difficult times in life. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived