Garrison Guitars purchaser Gibson Guitars voids all Garrison Warranties

lovemachine97

• Members

Just a heads up for anyone who purchased a Garrison guitar at ANY time previous to July 3rd, 2007:

I am a Garrison endorser, and am also a salesman at a music store which carries Garrison acoustics. We got an email today that is astounding.

Gibson, Garrison's new owner, has decided to void the warranty of every guitar purchased before their July 3rd take-over. Yes, this means that every Garrison I sold (which came with a limited lifetime warranty), and my G-20ce, which also had a limited lifetime warranty, now does not have any warranty whatsoever.

Gibson notified Garrison, who in turn notified us, that any an all repairs are now the customer's responsibility, and no Return Authorizations or warranty claims will be issued for ANY and ALL guitars purchased prior to 7/3/07.

By the tone of the email, this took Garrison by shock, as they mentioned they were having a hard time dealing with this decision.

I have already emailed Gibson's main email, and their customer service email, notifying them of my disgust, and thanking them for making my job easier, as I can now tell every acoustic customer never to purchase a Garrison, simplifying my job, and their choice.

I urge any outraged Garrison customer to do the same.

BTW, yes I joined for the purpose of making this post, but I felt as if this is an issue that customers need to know.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never liked Garrison guitars.

That being said, is this even legal? Garrison didn't fold, Gibson bought them. This usually means that they acquire all responsabilities with the purchase. Unless Gibson is folding the Garrison company and somehow can void the waranties. I would've thought they had to fold before the purchase for this to be allowed to happen. If Gibson doesn't do right by Garrison I"ve purchased my last Gibson. I'm not an expert in the legalities but I could see this in court. There are too many fine Guitars out there to limit myself to Gibson if they can't be honorable.:mad::wave:

• Members

I'm curious as to how Gibson could legally accomplish this. If they acquired Garrison via a stock purchase (by buying Garrison's outstanding stock), then they automatically inherit all of Garrison's liabilities/obligations, which would of course include warranty obligations. If they acquired Garrison via what's known as an "asset purchase", then they could have purchased some or all of the assets of Garrison, while agreeing to assume some, all or even none of Garrison's liabilities/obligations. However, if it was indeed an asset purchase, any liabilities/obligations not assumed by Gibson would remain with Garrison (which would continue to exist as a legal entity and would be legally required to discharge its liabilities/obligations, including honoring its warranties).

A manufacturer cannot unilaterally "void" a warranty, since it forms a contract with the buyer for which consideration was paid in the form of the original purchase price. I'm interested to hear more, but a more likely explanation would be that Garrison had tentatively arranged or contracted with Gibson as part of the acquisition transaction to honor Garrison's warranties in exchange for financial consideration, but that Gibson has decided against consummating that part of the deal.

• Members

Well let me clarify. I used the word void, not Gibson, nor Garrison.

I will have my boss forward the email to me, and I will post it on here verbatim.

But, they are telling us than any and all warranty issues are now the customers responsibilty. Gibson will not cover any costs. If I remember correctly, the phrase 'customer's responsibility' was used.

Also, no Return Authorizations will be issued for any store stock instrument purchased before the Gibson take over.

That's what I remember. So basically, Gibson will not absorb the shipping, nor the cost of repair or replacement--the customer will.

The email we got was received by Garrison Customer Service, then forwarded to us. It had also been forwarded to Chris Griffiths, the CEO of Garrison. The Customer Service email made it sound like they were HORRIFIED about this situation.

I will post the email here as soon as I get it from the store email

• Members

I've never heard of such a {censored}ty corporate move. If this true, does Gibson have monkeys for PR?

They do this kind of thing regularly, and yes, they do. Trained ones who do exactly what is needed to provide cover for Henry J and the legal department's money grubbing take no prisoners business model. This kind of stuff is why I always say that I love the instruments and hate the management.

From reading the press releases, it appears that Gibson has purchased the technology and the plant lock stock and barrel. Hope they paid out the a** for it, so that the Garrison owners are now set for life. Cause this is just the first volley to rid the world of the Garrison name, the new guitars will be Gibsons, as if they invented them. The old employees and owners won't last long. Gibson will make sure of that. They probably offered them employment contracts as part of the deal. News flash, you won't want to work for us very long.

• Members

Well let me clarify. I used the word
void
, not Gibson, nor Garrison...But, they are telling us than any and all warranty issues are now the customers responsibilty. Gibson will not cover any costs. If I remember correctly, the phrase 'customer's responsibility' was used.Also, no Return Authorizations will be issued for any store stock instrument purchased before the Gibson take over.

It doesn't matter what language they use - the rest of your note (if correct) indicates that they are voiding the warranty.

• Members

Well, I will reserve judgement since I haven't seen anything verifiable in writing yet, but as I posted in an earlier thread when it was announced that Gibson bought the company, I am not their (Gibson) biggest fan.

They don't make guitars; they're just a holding company [Gibson, Steinberger, Dobro, Epiphone, Kramer, Avante, Wurlitzer, Slingerland, Baldwin], and if this warranty (or the lack thereof) business is true, it should come as no surprise. I've no doubt their army of attorneys could make this happen and they'll forever be held harmless.

Here is the Gibson/Baldwin webpage. Note that you can click just about anywhere at all on the page, EXCEPT THE GIBSON CUSTOMER SERVICE section.

Co-incidence. I think not...

• Members

, and if this warranty (or the lack thereof) business is true, it should come as no surprise. I've no doubt their army of attorneys could make this happen and they'll forever be held harmless.

. Note that you can click just about anywhere at all on the page, EXCEPT THE GIBSON
CUSTOMER SERVICE
section.

Co-incidence. I think not...

From the Gibson Website I found this:

Customer Service

If you have a comment or question about anything related to Gibson Musical Instruments, call our 24/7 Customer Service Dept. at 1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766), or send an email to service@gibson.com.

NEW! AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, & MSN Messenger users can now IM Gibson Customer Service at customer.service1@gibson.com! Gibson Customer Service IM is available 9:00am-4:00pm CST Monday-Friday.

Gibson Europe Customer Service: Servicing Spain, Portugal, Austria, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, France, Great Britain, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland, call 00 800 4GIBSON1 (00+800-444-2766-1) or email: Service.Europe@Gibson.com.

Gibson China Customer Service: Call 800-820-8841 (IN CHINA ONLY) or email: Service.China@Gibson.com

...seems pretty customer friendly to me?

OGP

• Members

I think you now know why i like pre-gibson and pre-fender guitars - fender is just as bad - they are really screwing Guild over and they are not half the guitar before fender took them over - I really never liked Garrison guitars either , their {censored}ty plastic gut system is mickey mouse- I honestly think gibson buying them was a stupid move in the first place - Gibson again proved their not to bright by trying to void warranties ( which im betting is going to back fire on them big time ) anyone a wagering ?

• Members

I have asked my boss to forward the email to me. He is out delivering a piano, and will do so when he has a chance.

My boss was interviewed by MS Retailer Magazine today (http://www.msretailer.com) who learned of this decision and is doing a story on it. My boss said they described it to him as "a mess".

Gibson still can't tell us whether or not the 7/3/07 applies to a customer purchase date, or the dealer purchase date (meaning, are the guitars hanging on our wall void of a warranty because we purchased them before that date?). Our new Garrison rep (who was our old Epiphone rep, they fired our Garrsion rep) is going to "get back to us".

And no, I do not work for Fender. I do work for a family owned small music shop who happens to be a Fender/Jackson/Guild dealer, but we carry many other brands as well, and have also been an Epiphone dealer twice, though we have chosen to drop the line twice now as well. WE have never been a "Gibson" dealer though, as Gibson's opening order for new dealers is $150,000 dollars worth of in stock product (dealer cost), and an additional $80,000 every year despite what your stock level is.

• Members

I think you now know why i like pre-gibson and pre-fender guitars - fender is just as bad - they are really screwing Guild over and they are not half the guitar before fender took them over - I really never liked Garrison guitars either , their {censored}ty plastic gut system is mickey mouse- I honestly think gibson buying them was a stupid move in the first place - Gibson again proved their not to bright by trying to void warranties ( which im betting is going to back fire on them big time ) anyone a wagering ?

1. Well let's be fair, it's probably more appropriate to call it fiber glass, since the bracing system is 40% glass. I think they sound great. BUT, I did have to do about $60 worth of work to my instrument to get it to play well, or as well as a 300 series or above Taylor. Kawai pianos use ABS synthetic parts in their pianos, and they are still world renowned.

2. Guild guitars was purchased by Fender 11 years ago, and they never voided any warranties. I have helped a customer with a pre-Fender Guild get the help they needed, and Fender gave them no problem.

3. Fender has added the GAD series to hit a price point, where you can get an all solid Guild for $499 (MAP) and up. While these guitars are Chinese, so are some instruments that have gotten great reviews, like the Epiphone Masterbuilt Series. Otherwise, Guilds are still being made by Guild employees in the USA, and as far as I have been told, no employees were fired in the take over. Guild electrics at one point were being made at the Fender Custom Shop, but I believe the Tacoma facilitiy is being used. I wish they still made electrics, but I do understand they plan on rolling out a hollowbody line soon, and getting back into the electric game from there.

My concern here was for my personal Garrison, which I love, any other Garrison owner who might be affected, and to clue people in a bit on the operation Gibson likes to run.

• Members

Well, something for everyone then, OldGuitarPlayer.

That's the wonderful thing about this planet. We're all different, and we get to make our own choices.

I prefer some of my other options.

I don't get what point you are trying to make. I was just pointing out that in one post you tell people that they are unable to click on the customer service link on their website implying that they are not interested in "customer service". I was only pointing out that I was able to find customer service info on the Gibson site quite easily.

Personally I don't give a rat's ass about Gibson's customer service or Garrison's problems for that matter...did someone from Gibson force Garrison's owners to sell to them at gunpoint? The way I look at it is that this Garrison company sold out...sucks to be them.

OGP

• Members

- I really never liked Garrison guitars either , their {censored}ty plastic gut system is mickey mouse-

It's not plastic, it's a fiberglass type substance, and that "{censored}ty system" makes for very nice consistant sounding guitars. Some people don't like anything but wood used and that's fine, but I like guitars that sound good and that also means I'll take whatever materials go with that goal. One does not see the inside when playing.

I bought a Garrison the minute I heard of the buy out. They have been on my want list for years, but I just keep putting it off as I figued I could get one anytime and since they all sound the same, there was no need to audition many of them like I would Gibsons. Very consistant sounding guitars. If you like one, you will like them all. I bought the smaller grand concert model that recently came out. It blows my Martin 00-15 away. I personally am not concerned about the warranty.

• Members

I don't get what point you are trying to make. I was just pointing out that in one post you tell people that they are unable to click on the customer service link on their website implying that they are not interested in "customer service". I was only pointing out that I was able to find customer service info on the Gibson site quite easily.

Personally I don't give a rat's ass about Gibson's customer service or Garrison's problems for that matter...did someone from Gibson force Garrison's owners to sell to them at gunpoint? The way I look at it is that this Garrison company sold out...sucks to be them.

OGP

You're right again, OldGuitarPlayer.

Although, I don't know the terms of the sale, so it remains unclear (at least to me) whether or not it does indeed "sucks to be them".

Was I arguing with you?

(I didn't think I was. It was certainly not deliberate on my part.)

Thanks for the links. I hope that Garrison owners are able to avail themselves of these tools.

• Members

It's not plastic, it's a fiberglass type substance, and that "{censored}ty system" makes for very nice consistant sounding guitars. Some people don't like anything but wood used and that's fine, but I like guitars that sound good and that also means I'll take whatever materials go with that goal. One does not see the inside when playing.

I bought a Garrison the minute I heard of the buy out. They have been on my want list for years, but I just keep putting it off as I figued I could get one anytime and since they all sound the same, there was no need to audition many of them like I would Gibsons. Very consistant sounding guitars. If you like one, you will like them all. I bought the smaller grand concert model that recently came out. It blows my Martin 00-15 away. I personally am not concerned about the warranty.

We agree on this except for the last part. There are two reasons the warranty concerns me. One, I am a Garrison owner, and here the company isn't folding, Garrison guitars are still coming out, the CEO still runs his factory, and now a HUGE company is bankrolling them--and suddenly my guitar is now worth LESS because of it? And I have no recourse if anything goes wrong, despite these things? {censored}ing lame.

Also, as a salesperson, I have sold many GArrisons on my personal recommendations, i.e. I own one, I am endorsed, and even the warranty itself--the fact that the first 5 years are transferrable.

Here's the crappy part. We have a customer who's guitar dried out and Garrison still replaced it, despite the fact that his lack of humidifying caused it. He got his replacement, and the top split, NOT from humidity. So Garrison's Customer Service guy looked at the digital pictures, and authorized a replacement. That replacement has since been canceled. They guy is stuck with his instrument.

Which he bought from me.

Which if he wants to get really crazy, my boss may have to buy back at full price, which in turn he will just have to throw the guitar away.

Which of course means, 2 years after the fact, my commission will be subtracted from my next check.

• Members

We agree on this except for the last part. There are two reasons the warranty concerns me. One, I am a Garrison owner, and here the company isn't folding, Garrison guitars are still coming out, the CEO still runs his factory, and now a HUGE company is bankrolling them--and suddenly my guitar is now worth LESS because of it? And I have no recourse if anything goes wrong, despite these things? {censored}ing lame.

Also, as a salesperson, I have sold many GArrisons on my personal recommendations, i.e. I own one, I am endorsed, and even the warranty itself--the fact that the first 5 years are transferrable.

Here's the crappy part. We have a customer who's guitar dried out and Garrison still replaced it, despite the fact that his lack of humidifying caused it. He got his replacement, and the top split, NOT from humidity. So Garrison's Customer Service guy looked at the digital pictures, and authorized a replacement. That replacement has since been canceled. They guy is stuck with his instrument.

Which he bought from me.

Which if he wants to get really crazy, my boss may have to buy back at full price, which in turn he will just have to throw the guitar away.

Which of course means, 2 years after the fact, my commission will be subtracted from my next check.

I agree that everything you wrote equals a big stink for some people. I suppose we can only hope that perhaps something was mis-quoted, mis-written or in some way the information you heard about is wrong, or adjustable in some way.

Aside, I have heard that the folks at Garrison are thrilled with the purchase. From what I heard, they will be increasing production from 12 pieces a day to 300 and that means more jobs for the population nearby. I personally would rather work in a guitar company that makes just 12, but that's me. I also understand that rebadging starts as early as August, this month, so Gibson is working quick on this project.

• Members

You're right again, OldGuitarPlayer.

Although, I don't know the terms of the sale, so it remains unclear (at least to me) whether or not it does indeed "sucks to be them".

Was I arguing with you?

(I didn't think I was. It was certainly not deliberate on my part.)

Thanks for the links. I hope that Garrison owners are able to avail themselves of these tools.

Nope...no arguments from me. Sure it is a shame if this is all true and maybe some people will not be able to get warranty service done on their Garrison guitar once the Gibson take over is complete. It really is a bad way to start off a customer relationship on Gibson's part.

Remember...all we have to go on here is a post by someone who is just telling us his version of an alleged email sent from Gibson to Garrison.

I have tried out these Garrison guitars...they are ok. The only ones they where making at that time where dreadnaught style guitars and sure..it's a nice guitar but I am not a fan of big guitars so I would never buy one. I like smaller OM size guitars. Besides...I already have an old plywood Sigma DM2 beater dread that's good enough for me.

OGP

• Members

Alrighty everyone, here is the email:

To: "Chris Griffith"

Subject: Garrison/Gibson Warranty Claims

Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 2:34 PM

Hello,

Unfortunately I have some bad news for Dealers with Warranty issues, here is the info I have received from our warranty department.

Gibson USA has purchased Garrison Guitars, but has not accepted responsibility for warranty repairs to, or replacements of Garrison instruments, sold before the July 3, 2007 purchase.

Unfortunately, Gibson USA did not accept liability of warranty claims associated with Garrison Guitars.

No warranty claims will be accepted, no Return Authorizations (RA

Archived