Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like I'm gonna try and build a guitar...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by guitarist21
    View Post

Nothing helpful to add except that this is awesome to see and I'm stoked for you, kwak.

Hey! Good to see you, Ellen! How's life on the road?

This is painfully slow going because so much other stuff takes precedence. I'm not exactly getting a lot of moral support here at home over it either.
    Nigel Hawkins

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by kwakatak
      View Post

This is painfully slow going because so much other stuff takes precedence. I'm not exactly getting a lot of moral support here at home over it either.

Better slow than rushed, K-Man. My 2nd git is painfully slow going because I am just painfully slow.

Love the laminate neck! I've got to start making those. I've always loved the way they look, but looks are really just a side bonus. They are strong and stable as hell. Nice going.
      I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet.I.K.F.C.E.S.C.Potato SocietySAWG

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by knockwood
        View Post

Better slow than rushed, K-Man. My 2nd git is painfully slow going because I am just painfully slow.

Love the laminate neck! I've got to start making those. I've always loved the way they look, but looks are really just a side bonus. They are strong and stable as hell. Nice going.

Yeah, originally I just liked the look as well but I'm hoping that they're also cheaper to find materials for and that the layers allow for shortcuts with making the tenon.
        Nigel Hawkins

Comment

• Ditto on the cheapness. That's why I bought some mahogany boards. Much cheaper than buying the big quarter-sawn neck blanks.

Maybe you can make your wife something to get her on your side. Does she play the uke?
          Frog Rock Tenor Uke
          Frog Rock 00-12
          The thing with Chinese guitars is that when I play one, half an hour later I want to play it again... -- Knockwood
          If you know who wrote it, it ain't folk music. -- DHone
          Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. -- Richard Feynman
          De recta non tolerandum sunt. -- Monty Python

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by gitnoob
            View Post

Ditto on the cheapness. That's why I bought some mahogany boards. Much cheaper than buying the big quarter-sawn neck blanks.

Maybe you can make your wife something to get her on your side. Does she play the uke?

My wife is not musical at all so that's out. I made her a jewelry box out of a kit last year but it took me forever to finish it so she grew tired of my tinkering. She'd be happier if I put in more effort and installed new kitchen flooring and rehung the chair rails that were taken down a couple of years ago in order to paint. Those walls need to be painted again though because we have 2 little boys of 5 and 8, but I've actually been busy fixing things that they break. I've patched over 20 holes in the walls and replaced/repaired 3 entire toilets.

I still have ambitions of finishing my younger son's uke kit and building a cajon for the kids to bang on - as if they needed anything else to bang on.
            Nigel Hawkins

Comment

View Post

Hey! Good to see you, Ellen! How's life on the road?

It's good! There's a lot of work because I also started a booking company with the lead singer of the band (vulcanarmybooking.com) so I've always got stuff to do which hopefully eventually translates to bills getting paid. Can't complain.

Sorry about that lack of moral support. I can imagine that being pretty frustrating with such a complicated and long process. Probably you've got kwak jrs running around that need attention as well. Speaking of which, how are your boys?

Comment

View Post

I still have ambitions of finishing my younger son's uke kit and building a cajon for the kids to bang on - as if they needed anything else to bang on.

Tell her that musicians become smarter than normal people.

I'm planning to build an outdoor marimba for my kid out of left-over Ipe from our deck project.
                Frog Rock Tenor Uke
                Frog Rock 00-12
                The thing with Chinese guitars is that when I play one, half an hour later I want to play it again... -- Knockwood
                If you know who wrote it, it ain't folk music. -- DHone
                Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. -- Richard Feynman
                De recta non tolerandum sunt. -- Monty Python

Comment

• The neck is looking great Neil ... beautiful stuff

I'm right with you on "wifely lack of support". I used to get a lot of that, still do somewhat but at the end of the day everyone has to have their interests and some time to persue them. I now just go over to the shop, close the door and put the dust extractor on. Its amazing how the noise of that thing drowns out any "extraneous sound"

Now when my tool buying was becoming something that may have required strong sedative medication to slow it down a bit I could completely understand my wifes "frustration". Funny how they dont understand things like "look darlin, I made this saddle routing jig from some old bits of tree that I salvaged in the forest. This means I dont have to buy one and hence I have saved us some money". Weird
                  imagination is more important than knowledge. knowledge is limited. imagination encircles the world.

viva fui in silvis
                  sum dura occisa
                  securi dum vixi tacui
                  mortua dulce cano

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by rickoshea
                    View Post

The neck is looking great Neil ... beautiful stuff

I'm right with you on "wifely lack of support". I used to get a lot of that, still do somewhat but at the end of the day everyone has to have their interests and some time to persue them. I now just go over to the shop, close the door and put the dust extractor on. Its amazing how the noise of that thing drowns out any "extraneous sound"

Now when my tool buying was becoming something that may have required strong sedative medication to slow it down a bit I could completely understand my wifes "frustration". Funny how they dont understand things like "look darlin, I made this saddle routing jig from some old bits of tree that I salvaged in the forest. This means I dont have to buy one and hence I have saved us some money". Weird

One time my mother came over and I was showing her one of the guitars I built. She was speechless while I played it. "How did you do that?" "Where did you learn to make something that beautiful?" "I can't believe my ears" etc. etc. etc.

I just turned to her and said, "Building the guitar was a piece of cake......"

"Doing it with the wife screaming in your ear about sawdust in the garage, clutter, wood everywhere, not spending more time running errands.... etc....THAT was the real trick."
                    "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

• I got a chance to put a little daylight hours in and paid my friend and my guitar a visit. I started out by truing up the important surfaces of the neck blank:

Purty good so far. It looks clean, but let's measure:

First, the break angle: 15 degrees per the plans.

Now let's look at the plans to note the length from the end to the nut:

Zero at the nut:

15" at the end of the blank where the tenon is:

Did I mention that 15 is my little guy's favorite number? Don't ask me why. It must be a coincidence...

Moving on to what lies ahead: profiling. I'm going to try to emulate the neck profile of my Larrivee OM-03R. I've been enamored with the neck profile ever since I first picked up a Larrivee many years ago. Tomorrow I'm going to go pick up a contour gauge and work on making templates with some spare plexiglass.

Just for curiosity's sake, I wanted to see how the scale lengths compared:

Looks to be exactly the same: 25.4". Of course, I will not be copying the headstock shape. Speaking of which, I need to glue on the headstock wings and get them leveled.
                      Nigel Hawkins

Comment

• Moving right along, the next thing I did was to measure the dimensions of the binding/purfling channels on the body and also finally pull my bent rosewood binding strips out of the Fox bender where they sat for nearly 3 weeks. I don't have pics of this but suffice it to say that the binding strips fit perfectly in the depth of the channels. The purfling will be the tricky part though. I have a variety of different widths and can't keep all the purfling strips I have laying around straight. I also need some more so I have a bunch in the shopping cart at lmii.com and just wanted to check before buying them.

Finally, I moved on to selecting a veneer to use for the headstock. Since my rosette and binding are rosewood I'm also going with rosewood for the headplate and the fingerboard. No fingerboard yet but here are the leading contenders for the headstock:

These all come from a box of scrap pieces which are comprised of some split backs and orphaned sides. As you can see, one of the choices is from the same board that I got my rosette. This one is my favorite, though. On the back is written "41" which I have no idea the significance of.

As you can see, it's quite dark but the lighting doesn't do it justice. In this one it almost looks like ebony but believe me, it's a dark piece of rosewood with nice contrast and an almost purplish color. I may take more pictures under natural light, but FWIW I matched it up with the binding and my end wedge and they all match pretty well.
                        Nigel Hawkins

Comment

• Very cool stuff, Neilio. Love teh neck. You have my admiration and envy.
                          I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet.I.K.F.C.E.S.C.Potato SocietySAWG

Comment

• That neck is sweet!!

Comment

• Personally I buy pre-made necks when I build guitars. That's too difficult for me
                              "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

• I know of a few luthiers who do that, but I wanted to immerse myself in the whole process. I really enjoyed doing the braces completely from scratch and then chiseling away which was lots of fun. This will be much more exact since I have to concern myself with neck angle and scale length

On a future build (most likely my next one) I'm going to use a premade Martin neck. The main reason I didn't use it this time was that it's actually a short scale with a pronounced V shape and a dovetail joint - which I am NOT ready for. Since I'm basically building a Gibson it seemed to be heresy to mate it with a Martin neck anyway. No, that neck is intended for a Martin HD-28V build. Either short scale or 12 fret, I can't decide yet.

BTW, I got my truss rod in the mail today so I'm charged up. I put the wings on the headstock yesterday and have to plane it perfectly flat so that I can attach the headstock veneer. I also got a lot of purfling in so I'll be shifting my attention back to finishing the binding. After that I route away the mortise then carve away the tenon and work on neck angle. I intend to do a bolt on neck so there's that work to look forward to. Then it's on to putting it all together and setting the neck angle. The fretboard - which BTW will be pre-slotted because I'm not ready for THAT headache either - goes on after that.
                                Nigel Hawkins

Comment

Working...
                                X