Looks like I'm gonna try and build a guitar...

kwakatak

• Members

Nothing firm yet other than an OK from my friend to use his shop and some materials but I'm stoked. I'm looking to make either a cedar/mahogany OM or mini jumbo. He's got the molds for the OM but if I wanted to do the MJ I'd most likely go with the Official Luthier's Forum medium jumbo plans and then I'd have to do the molds and bracing overlays on my own.

He's in the middle of his first build (sycamore/adi 00 based off some old Epiphone plans) and his work is keeping him busy so for the next couple of weeks I'd be doing some reading and planning.

I just wanted to throw it out there. Wish me luck. It all comes down to whether I can get out to his place with any regularity. I'm not able to get out without my kids in tow and it's taking September forever to get here!

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hate you. smile.gif

I decided to call my local luthier to see if he'd be willing to offer a build class. Turns out he has one scheduled for August -- the first year he's ever offered one, and the price is very reasonable.

August happens to be the one month when I'll be out of town. Maybe next year. frown.gif

• Members

I've just decided - again - to give this a shot myself. Been putting it off for years. And years.

I have a 12-fret hog/sitka 000 kit burning a hole in my closet... I'm going to change the top to hog (I have several hog tops on hand) and get started within the next month. I think I already have all the tools I need (thanks to IKFC II), but will figure that out stage by stage. I just need to do some reading-up myself.

I will be going through Rick's thread for reference many times, I'm sure.

Good luck, Neilio.

• Members

Congrats! I envy you. Sadly... I did woodworking for a lot of years and sold off my woodshop a couple of years ago. I did a lot of hand cut dovetails and detail work and realize that I probably could have transitioned into luthery at a hobby level quickly. Sad for me.

Good luck on your project!

• Members

^ Awesome, knock! It's about time though. Isn't that going to be a bit similar to your 000-18 custom though?

As for learning from a luthier, I won't be that lucky. Yamaha Junkie did it mostly on his own, though he frequently rubs elbows with folks at the ASIA symposium, Blues Creek Guitars and Tim & Mary McKnight. He's already blazed the trail. I think he just wants an apprentice or something! wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
^ Awesome, knock! It's about time though. Isn't that going to be a bit similar to your 000-18 custom though?

As for learning from a luthier, I won't be that lucky. Yamaha Junkie did it mostly on his own, though he frequently rubs elbows with folks at the ASIA symposium, Blues Creek Guitars and Tim & Mary McKnight. He's already blazed the trail. I think he just wants an apprentice or something! wink.gif
I made this same vow last summer... Gonna stick to it this time, though.

This thing will be quite different from my 18. The 18 is hog and sitka, 14 to the body, 1-11/16" nut, paddle head. The kit will be an all-hog, 1-3/4", 12-fret slot head.

Part of what brought this on is that I tripped over some info on the SCGC 1929 00 and 000 models. Holy crap. But I also realized that even if I had enough money for one of those things, which I do not, I still couldn't AFFORD it. On the other hand, if I build, I don't have to spend a dime on materials (except maybe for some hog binding, if I want to rip off SCGC a little more). The ONLY difference will be that compared with SCGC gits, mine will be an utter piece of shit. But that is a minor detail...

Schools. Man, that is something I wish I could do. Some day, maybe. I could never afford Cumpiano's classes, which are probably awesome. There is Blues Creek in PA, though. Maybe sometime in the next few years. For now, I shall rely on teh interwebz.

Cedar/Hog is a pretty spiffy combo, Kwak. Cedar top is brave for a first build, yo. Are you leaning more toward the MJ? Seems like the OM might be easier to get moving, but are you wanting an MJ more for herd versatility?

• Members

Good luck to both of you! I've thought of doing this for some time. I used to build furniture as a hobby. A large and semi-ornate armoire (took 4 months to finish) seems like child's play compared to a guitar. No way I have time these days.

I am envious and look forward to progress reports! thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by knockwood View Post
I made this same vow last summer... Gonna stick to it this time, though.
Yeah, vows are sometimes hard to keep - especially since life sometimes gets in the way. There are some vows I have to keep too or my wife'd kill me and truly make herself a guitar widow!

Quote Originally Posted by knockwood View Post
This thing will be quite different from my 18. The 18 is hog and sitka, 14 to the body, 1-11/16" nut, paddle head. The kit will be an all-hog, 1-3/4", 12-fret slot head.

Part of what brought this on is that I tripped over some info on the SCGC 1929 00 and 000 models. Holy crap. But I also realized that even if I had enough money for one of those things, which I do not, I still couldn't AFFORD it. On the other hand, if I build, I don't have to spend a dime on materials (except maybe for some hog binding, if I want to rip off SCGC a little more). The ONLY difference will be that compared with SCGC gits, mine will be an utter piece of shit. But that is a minor detail...
I admit that there's something appealing about those "vintage" designs. I'm probably going to be slanting more toward the more modern stuff though. My inspiration is more like the Larriv

• Members

Good luck, guys. Keep us posted. I was reading about Breedlove's Master Class yesterday in a newsletter from Ed Gerhard. Coming up in August, but it is $5000 (out of my league) and I can't take time off from work in August anyway. But for those of us without tools or skills, it is tempting, or at least fun to read about and imagine...

Extraordinary Experience
Share your passion for music as we share our spirit for creating fine instruments. Contemplate the perfect combination of tonewoods while you enjoy the treasures of central Oregon. Allow Oregon's natural wonders to inspire the creation of your acoustic masterpiece. The Extraordinary Experience is complete with a lifetime of lasting memories, friendships, and the ultimate souvenir.

The all-inclusive Breedlove Extraordinary Experience package is $5,000 and includes a $5,000 instrument allowance. All meals, lodging and entertainment are included. Breedlove luthiers are proud to divulge the design principles of our instruments during the experience. Participants choose the actual woods and other materials that are used on their guitar or mandolin.

Space is limited to 10 people for the August event.

Thursday August 18th, 2005
Guests arrive at Redmond Airport
Get acquainted and get settled
Drinks and Entertainment
The Breedlove All Stars

Friday, August 19th, 2005
Guitarist Massage and Finger Style Manicure
Interactive Breedlove custom shop tour
Central Oregon Sightseeing and
waterfall visit
Guitar Workshop with Mark Allen
Dinner and Drinks
Performance with Mark Allen, Radim Zenkl, and the Breedlove All Stars
Saturday, August 20th, 2005
High lakes Exotic Car Run/ White Water rafting the Deschutes River
Fly Fishing with some of the best anglers on the Planet
Workshops with Paul Richards and Bert Lams of the California Guitar Trio
Concert with Paul Richards and Bert Lams and Radim Zenkl
Group Dinner and music with team Breedlove

• Members

LOL! Sounds tempting. I'll be doing my build under the tutored eye of a professional photographer who has this thing for butterflies and lives in the sticks. I'm told that the night life of Marion, OH is somewhat livelier so unless I head home early we could either end up cow tipping. I guess it all depends on how many beers we burn through a night.

• Members

Neil, I'll look forward to this. As you know, I think building your own is one of the most rewarding (and frustrating) thing you can do. Taking a class from Tim or John or some of the others great builder would be a wonderful (and fairly expensive) way to do it, but there is enough good help on the 'net that you can muddle thru pretty much on your own.

I'll offer whatever humble help I can give - I have the perspective of a beginner who has made most of the mistakes. We've got a few others on the forum here (as well as Tim and John) with a lot more experience - they can give you good guidence as you post your thread.

Two small pieces of advice - read everything you can before you start and while you build. I can offer a lot of free resources and book suggestions. Second, build something fairly classic and standard for your first. Do your experimenting on number 5 or 10 or so....

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Freeman Keller View Post
Neil, I'll look forward to this. As you know, I think building your own is one of the most rewarding (and frustrating) thing you can do. Taking a class from Tim or John or some of the others great builder would be a wonderful (and fairly expensive) way to do it, but there is enough good help on the 'net that you can muddle thru pretty much on your own.

I'll offer whatever humble help I can give - I have the perspective of a beginner who has made most of the mistakes. We've got a few others on the forum here (as well as Tim and John) with a lot more experience - they can give you good guidence as you post your thread.

Two small pieces of advice - read everything you can before you start and while you build. I can offer a lot of free resources and book suggestions. Second, build something fairly classic and standard for your first. Do your experimenting on number 5 or 10 or so....
I'd really appreciate that Freeman. I'm hoping others chime in here as well. I hear you on the reading; I've got a lot of questions and from seeing others' builds there are a LOT of things to take into consideration.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
Good luck with your build. thumb.gif I think you'll find quite a few people backing you on this one.

Just remember to always at least measure twice before making any cuts. wink.gif
Thanks, Gary. I'd especially appreciate your input. I'm amazed at how well rickoshea's build came out and I understand that you were very helpful.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Thanks, Gary. I'd especially appreciate your input. I'm amazed at how well rickoshea's build came out and I understand that you were very helpful.
You're very welcome and it's always my pleasure to try and help new/prospective builders in any way I can. smile.gif Rick truly pulled the rabbit out of the hat during his build and IMHO proved a first guitar - while challenging for everyone - can be successfully completed.

Apart from Cumpiano's book, another I'd recommend is;

"The Hand Plane Book" by Garrett Hack (ISBN978-1-56158-712-4)

Although hand tool oriented, this book provides a very solid insight into plane useage and a firm grounding in technique. Especially sharpening and set-up. thumb.gif

Use as many sources of information and ask as many questions as possible, but always try and consolidate your ideas surrounding method/technique prior to each step of the way. In other words.......Always plan ahead and try to resolve potential problems before they happen. wink.gif

Archived